Mar 4, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
In some years, a new MLS man who walked out onto a field without tripping over the white line as he debuted might have a fairly good chance of qualifying for an MLS All-New Man team.
Not in 2013. Major League Soccer’s opening weekend was stacked with promising performances from rookies or newly arrived names from lands beyond.
Here’s our All-MLS Newbie team from opening weekend. (Restricted to men brand new to the league; i.e., no MLS vets who changed addresses in the offseason allowed.)
- FC Dallas’ Raul Fernandez
Why we like him: FC Dallas’ new Peruvian backstopper gets a little edge over LA Galaxy’s Carlo Cudicini, who didn’t have a busy day but still made one major mess of things.
- Columbus Crew’s Glauber
- Portland Timbers’ Ryan Miller
- Seattle Sounders’ DeAndre Yedlin
Why we like them: Glauber will have tougher tests ahead, but a shutout for the veteran Brazlian and his back line mates against rebuilt Chivas USA was surely a worthy start. In the Rose City, Diego Valeri will grab up most of the new-guy buzz, but Ryan Miller’s determination to get forward and do damage along the right side was impressive. Yedlin also started at right back for his team, and the youngest man to ever start a league match for the Sounders more than held his own. (Doing so against MLS vet Justin Mapp.)
Oh, about the prominent name you might see missing: Don’t worry, Mikael Silvestre, you’ll get ‘em next time!
- Vancouver Whitecaps’ Nigel Reo-Coker
- Portland Timbers’ Diego Valeri (pictured)
- Toronto FC’s Kyle Bekker
- Vancouver Whitecaps’ Kekuta Manneh
Why we like them: Valeri was a baaaaad man in his Jeld-Wen debut, as anyone there will tell you. We’re talking early (early, early!) candidate for MLS Newcomer of the Year stuff here. We talked about Reo-Coker’s big influence here. And then he talked about it here. Manneh, newly arrived from the Austin Aztex, was sometimes a handful along the Whitecaps’ right side. Bekker, working all the way, will be in Rookie of the Year conversations going forward.
- Sporting Kansas City’s Claudio Bieler
- Chivas USA’s Julio Morales
- Colorado Rapids’ Deshorn Brown
Why we like them: About Brown, the Colorado Rapids’ rookie and No. 6 overall pick in this year’s draft: The kid has got something. Same for Chivas USA’s Julio Morales, who showed he could be dangerous over 45 minutes with the rebuilt Goats. Bieler arranged one goal and scored a nice him for himself in his debut for Sporting KC.
May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Four players were on the original list. None of them may end up at Stamford Bridge.
May 20, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
Our sympathy continues to grow for a man in a bad spot.
May 20, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
MLS will not have arrived until it has a high-profile feces incident.
May 20, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
It probably won’t happen this summer, and if it does … I’m sure we’ll run that into the ground, too.
May 20, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
For a moment, it looked like Milan had fired their coaching staff … via an open letter from a television show.
May 20, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
Real Madrid would have been in line for an eight-digit payday had they sold Mourinho to Chelsea.
May 20, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Odds on current U.S. Men’s National Team boss Jurgen Klinsmann to become Everton’s next permanent manager have dropped heavily today.
May 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Wherein we justify the selection of a center back, which always seems to be a requirement in these things:
May 20, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Sky Blue FC validates, Ali Krieger resonates, and four teams start to feel the toll of the new season.
May 20, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
What’s been coming for a long time is now official. Jose Mourinho’s three-year tenure at Real Madrid has a finish line.
May 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Ben Olsen? Frank Klopas? … Someone else?
May 20, 2013, 1:47 PM EDT
The big, soon-to-be out of contract Galaxy center backs says talks with MLS commenced:
May 20, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
That’s sarcasm. Ruiz was always bound to cause headaches, one way or the other:
May 20, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The first-year Red Bulls center back made a huge imprint on New York’s win over Los Angeles:
May 20, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
There is still plenty of star appeal as the Europa League champs’ roster for a quick two-game tour of the United States:
May 20, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Kljestan becomes the fifth American to defend a title in a top league:
May 20, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
The Scottish striker will hardly be missed around Vancouver:
May 19, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Sporting K.C. manager Peter Vermes and defender Ike Opera didn’t appreciate the pivotal offsides call that disallowed a possible winning goal against D.C. United, and they made that very obvious.
May 19, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
Paolo Di Canio and Andre Villas-Boas took to the media following their teams’ Premier League finale to voice displeasure with how their final fixture played out.
May 19, 2013, 7:51 PM EDT
A dull, scoreless first half picked up in the second term as D.C. United grabbed a point against the league’s second-best team and ended their club-record losing streak at 7 matches.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 0
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago