Mar 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Consider for a second that Mike Magee, a valuable role man around the LA Galaxy’s two-year championship run, had five goals during the 2012 regular season. Not a bit bad for a versatile guy who splits his time between midfield and forward, and who knows his part around an LA Galaxy team with bigger stars, a man never afraid to do the two-way toil.
Now consider that he came awfully close to matching that 2012 total in one afternoon!
It should come as little surprise, Magee is our ProSoccerTalk Player of the Week for MLS Round 1. Portland’s Diego Valeri did make a late push, but still …
Magee’s rather unassuming response to the massive day, including his goals and the team’s 4-0 clubbing of visiting Chicago:
“It was cool. The hat trick was cool. Getting the win was cool. And getting the rings was the coolest part of the day.”
The Galaxy players and staff were presented with their championship rings before kickoff Sunday. Apparently, it’s not getting old.
Here’s Magee’s full post-game interview from the Home Depot Center, or the StubHub Center, or the Victoria Street grounds … whatever you’d like to call it these days:
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 0
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 1
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 4