Mar 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Consider for a second that Mike Magee, a valuable role man around the LA Galaxy’s two-year championship run, had five goals during the 2012 regular season. Not a bit bad for a versatile guy who splits his time between midfield and forward, and who knows his part around an LA Galaxy team with bigger stars, a man never afraid to do the two-way toil.
Now consider that he came awfully close to matching that 2012 total in one afternoon!
It should come as little surprise, Magee is our ProSoccerTalk Player of the Week for MLS Round 1. Portland’s Diego Valeri did make a late push, but still …
Magee’s rather unassuming response to the massive day, including his goals and the team’s 4-0 clubbing of visiting Chicago:
“It was cool. The hat trick was cool. Getting the win was cool. And getting the rings was the coolest part of the day.”
The Galaxy players and staff were presented with their championship rings before kickoff Sunday. Apparently, it’s not getting old.
Here’s Magee’s full post-game interview from the Home Depot Center, or the StubHub Center, or the Victoria Street grounds … whatever you’d like to call it these days:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 0
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 0
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint