Mar 4, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
Believe it or not, there is a corner of Real Salt Lake supporters who do not believe striker Álvaro Saborío is worth having. Or, perhaps, not having at a relatively high MLS salary.
The theory goes that he doesn’t do enough beyond the goals; it is a classic “striker” argument, really.
But the man scores so reliably, with 41 goals over the last three seasons.
And what does he do on Real Salt Lake’s opening night? He pops in two as the visitors open with a great win, 2-0 at San Jose, the reigning Supporters Shield holders. Both strikes came in the last 20 minute.
Here are the highlights from last night at Buck Shaw Stadium, including Saborio’s first two goals from 2013.
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season