Mar 4, 2013, 8:15 AM EDT
Believe it or not, there is a corner of Real Salt Lake supporters who do not believe striker Álvaro Saborío is worth having. Or, perhaps, not having at a relatively high MLS salary.
The theory goes that he doesn’t do enough beyond the goals; it is a classic “striker” argument, really.
But the man scores so reliably, with 41 goals over the last three seasons.
And what does he do on Real Salt Lake’s opening night? He pops in two as the visitors open with a great win, 2-0 at San Jose, the reigning Supporters Shield holders. Both strikes came in the last 20 minute.
Here are the highlights from last night at Buck Shaw Stadium, including Saborio’s first two goals from 2013.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago