Mar 4, 2013, 8:15 AM EDT
Believe it or not, there is a corner of Real Salt Lake supporters who do not believe striker Álvaro Saborío is worth having. Or, perhaps, not having at a relatively high MLS salary.
The theory goes that he doesn’t do enough beyond the goals; it is a classic “striker” argument, really.
But the man scores so reliably, with 41 goals over the last three seasons.
And what does he do on Real Salt Lake’s opening night? He pops in two as the visitors open with a great win, 2-0 at San Jose, the reigning Supporters Shield holders. Both strikes came in the last 20 minute.
Here are the highlights from last night at Buck Shaw Stadium, including Saborio’s first two goals from 2013.
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 0
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 1
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 4
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0