Mar 4, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
Believe it or not, there is a corner of Real Salt Lake supporters who do not believe striker Álvaro Saborío is worth having. Or, perhaps, not having at a relatively high MLS salary.
The theory goes that he doesn’t do enough beyond the goals; it is a classic “striker” argument, really.
But the man scores so reliably, with 41 goals over the last three seasons.
And what does he do on Real Salt Lake’s opening night? He pops in two as the visitors open with a great win, 2-0 at San Jose, the reigning Supporters Shield holders. Both strikes came in the last 20 minute.
Here are the highlights from last night at Buck Shaw Stadium, including Saborio’s first two goals from 2013.
- Report: Houston Dynamo the front-runner to land Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Man United’s romp, Arsenal’s form and more 0
- Dreams do come true: DC United seal deal for new stadium they will call home 0
- American lawyer Michael Garcia resigns as FIFA’s ethics prosecutor 7
- Report: New England Revolution, Orlando City battling it out for Robinho 2
- Liverpool’s injured Daniel Sturridge to link up with Boston Red Sox 0