Mar 4, 2013, 8:15 AM EDT
Believe it or not, there is a corner of Real Salt Lake supporters who do not believe striker Álvaro Saborío is worth having. Or, perhaps, not having at a relatively high MLS salary.
The theory goes that he doesn’t do enough beyond the goals; it is a classic “striker” argument, really.
But the man scores so reliably, with 41 goals over the last three seasons.
And what does he do on Real Salt Lake’s opening night? He pops in two as the visitors open with a great win, 2-0 at San Jose, the reigning Supporters Shield holders. Both strikes came in the last 20 minute.
Here are the highlights from last night at Buck Shaw Stadium, including Saborio’s first two goals from 2013.
- WATCH: Blackpool coach sent off after hitting own player in face 0
- Report: Majority of Mexico’s World Cup roster slots are set 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Bedoya buries one, Boyd bags brace 1
- David Moyes vilified on return to Everton, as Manchester United nightmare continues 1
- Everton 2-0 Manchester United: Toffees rampant in miserable return for Moyes 1
- Miami mayor hits back at Beckham stadium critics 4