Mar 5, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
Major League Soccer attempted to tamp down the little brush fire of South Florida expansion speculation before it grew into something less controllable.
As you read through the statement from commissioner Don Garber’s office, here are three things to keep in mind.
These things come up all the time, generally originating from local newspapers, where a city official has talked up interest of getting a chip in the Major League Soccer game. In this case, the originating point was Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl, who understands quite a bit more about how all this works than local reporters.
That said, these generally lead nowhere. Just a little more than 90 days back, MLS was walloped on the side of the head with this one, where Tampa business interests dreamed up a $400 million stadium proposal and attached news of it to MLS interest.
League officials, in Los Angeles at the time for MLS Cup, assured me they knew absolutely nothing about this. Sure enough, we’ve heard nothing of it since.
It’s New York. League officials continue to tell us that No. 20 will be in New York. At some point, we should probably believe them. (Although wondering otherwise will continue to be a fascinating pastime, I’m sure.)
The gist of Major League Soccer’s statement on the matter, through an MLS spokesperson:
We have not had any formal discussions with RSE Ventures. We remain focused on securing a 20th team for Major League Soccer in New York, but we do believe we will have an MLS team in the Southeast at some point.
“As it relates specifically to potential Florida markets, we have had ongoing discussions with Orlando City SC about expansion in Central Florida, and we know that South Florida is one of the most passionate soccer markets in North America.”
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit