Mar 5, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
The important number to remember for Houston’s quarterfinal against Mexico’s Santos Laguna tonight in CONCACAF Champions League is …. 31.
As in the number of game’s Houston’s home unbeaten streak has grown to in all competitions. (It’s 26 in league matches.)
Truly, Houston knows how to deliver at home. It was this way previously at Robertson Stadium on the University of Houston campus, and it’s been this way since BBVA Compass Stadium opened along the outskirts of downtown Houston 10 months ago. They just don’t lose there.
That said, tonight’s contest against Liga MX power Santos may be the Orange’s toughest test at BBVA yet. Plus, if we’re honest, it cannot just be a draw tonight for Houston. Dominic Kinnear’s team really needs the win – and the comfort of knowing they would need only a hard-earned draw down in Mexico on the return leg.
What Dynamo veteran defender Bobby Boswell said about the important of a positive result tonight:
The important part here is that it’s two legs and you’ve got to take care of business in the first leg to give yourself a chance in the second leg. If you go down there and have to score two or three goals or don’t have a lead, it’s a tough place to go win.
“We’ve had some teams over the years do it, so it’s not impossible to go down and get results, but you’re not doing yourself a favor if you’re not taking care of things at home.”
More game notes from the Houston Dynamo are here.
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 1
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)