Mar 5, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
All of the competition, drama, and contention was at Old Trafford. It was an easy day at the Westfalenstadion.
Borussia Dortmund dominated from the opening kickoff, broke through near the half-hour mark, and finished the job just after halftime. What could have been an entertaining affair between two of Europe’s coming sides turned into a walk. Borussia Dortmund eliminated Shakhtar Donetsk, 5-2 (aggregate).
Many might see the easy defeat of a Ukrainian club by a German champion as par for the course, but consider what Shakhtar had done this tournament. They got a result at Juventus and three points at home from Chelsea, a victory that helped Shakhtar advance over the European Champions in Group E. In leg one against Dortmund, they earned a 2-2 result, another in the series of strong results that went for naught at today’s final whistle.
The biggest loss Shakhtar had suffered in the tournament before today was by one goal (to Juventus and Chelsea). Today they lost by three, a hint of how strong this Dortmund team can be.
Perhaps Dortmund’ struggles to keep up Bayern Munich in Germany have obscured their quality, but today against Shakhtar, they looked like one of Europe’s best.
It’s difficult to absorb their quality in two-minute bursts, so if you have a chance to catch the first hour of today’s game, do so. You’ll see a comprehensive performance against a talented Ukrainian champion, one that will make you ask who beyond Bayern have a better chance to win this tournament.
Check out the day’s highlights, above, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- Bundesliga wrap: Hamburg holds Bayern; Newly-promoted club atop league 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 1
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0
- Watch live: West Ham United vs. Liverpool (Lineups) 0