Mar 5, 2013, 8:14 PM EST
Amid all the discussion of what should and shouldn’t have happened today at Old Trafford, can we take a moment to talk about Luka Modric?
The former Tottenham Hotspur hasn’t had the best season in Spain, but he made his mark today. Shortly after coming on for Álvaro Arbeloa, Modric hits a beautiful shot from 24 yards out to make it 2-2.
And beautiful is an understatement. When he strikes the ball, it starts outside the post and darts back in just enough to avoid David de Gea’s dive. It bangs off the post, shoots back across goal and nestles just inside the left side of goal.
As much as Nani’s sending off had to shake United, Modric’s shot must have sent shards down their spines. That has to be where the term sniper comes from.
The footage of that shot starts at 1:15, before which you see Manchester United’s highlights, moments that include a post-rattler from Nemanja Vidic in addition to Sergio Ramos’s own goal.
And, of course, there was the kick
heard talked about around the world.
Check out the highlights, above, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- Inside Look: Not much separating Red Bulls, Revolution ahead of Eastern Conference Championship, leg 1 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Inside Look: LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders to square off in Western Conference Championship, leg 1 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City 0
- These deserving nominees are the biggest snubs of MLS Award season 4
- Former Man Utd teammates Welbeck, Rooney prepares for “weird” match as Arsenal hosts Red Devils 0