Mar 5, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Amid all the discussion of what should and shouldn’t have happened today at Old Trafford, can we take a moment to talk about Luka Modric?
The former Tottenham Hotspur hasn’t had the best season in Spain, but he made his mark today. Shortly after coming on for Álvaro Arbeloa, Modric hits a beautiful shot from 24 yards out to make it 2-2.
And beautiful is an understatement. When he strikes the ball, it starts outside the post and darts back in just enough to avoid David de Gea’s dive. It bangs off the post, shoots back across goal and nestles just inside the left side of goal.
As much as Nani’s sending off had to shake United, Modric’s shot must have sent shards down their spines. That has to be where the term sniper comes from.
The footage of that shot starts at 1:15, before which you see Manchester United’s highlights, moments that include a post-rattler from Nemanja Vidic in addition to Sergio Ramos’s own goal.
And, of course, there was the kick
heard talked about around the world.
Check out the highlights, above, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear