Mar 6, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
What an interesting situation at FC Dallas, where goalkeeper Raul Fernandez and Chris Seitz just did brilliant preseason battle, both with eyes on the starting spot at FC Dallas Stadium in suburban Frisco.
And yet, the FCD goalkeeper so many are talking goes by Richard Sanchez.
Sanchez, 18, first signed with Dallas as a homegrown product in February of 2011. He signed a new deal last November, as the club wisely tied up the young ‘keeper through 2015.
Sanchez could walk through downtown Dallas unbothered, but he’s big news in Mexico. He backstopped a talented Mexican collection to the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup championship.
Last week, Sanchez was big in the nets as Mexico claimed top honors in Puebla, Mexico, during CONCACAF qualifying for the Under-20 World Cup later this summer in Turkey.
Sanchez turns 19 in April. We see young goalkeepers struggle in MLS if fed to the world too early; Zac MacMath in Philadelphia is a good example. Still, you wonder how long before Sanchez can push to displace one of those in the top ‘keeper pairing around FCD?
- Week 7 Preview: Fire look for first win vs. Revs; Dallas gets its crack at Toronto 0
- Report: Aston Villa ownership will change hands if club stays up 4
- Tim Howard inks Everton extension, signs through 2017-18 season 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Liverpool or Chelsea for the title? – Week 34 0
- Neymar, Jordi Alba to miss the rest of Barcelona’s season 1
- Manchester: A city not united, as Blue and Red converge 2