Mar 6, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
What an interesting situation at FC Dallas, where goalkeeper Raul Fernandez and Chris Seitz just did brilliant preseason battle, both with eyes on the starting spot at FC Dallas Stadium in suburban Frisco.
And yet, the FCD goalkeeper so many are talking goes by Richard Sanchez.
Sanchez, 18, first signed with Dallas as a homegrown product in February of 2011. He signed a new deal last November, as the club wisely tied up the young ‘keeper through 2015.
Sanchez could walk through downtown Dallas unbothered, but he’s big news in Mexico. He backstopped a talented Mexican collection to the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup championship.
Last week, Sanchez was big in the nets as Mexico claimed top honors in Puebla, Mexico, during CONCACAF qualifying for the Under-20 World Cup later this summer in Turkey.
Sanchez turns 19 in April. We see young goalkeepers struggle in MLS if fed to the world too early; Zac MacMath in Philadelphia is a good example. Still, you wonder how long before Sanchez can push to displace one of those in the top ‘keeper pairing around FCD?
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2
- Report: Mix Diskerud targeted by New York City FC 3
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 8