Mar 6, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
What an interesting situation at FC Dallas, where goalkeeper Raul Fernandez and Chris Seitz just did brilliant preseason battle, both with eyes on the starting spot at FC Dallas Stadium in suburban Frisco.
And yet, the FCD goalkeeper so many are talking goes by Richard Sanchez.
Sanchez, 18, first signed with Dallas as a homegrown product in February of 2011. He signed a new deal last November, as the club wisely tied up the young ‘keeper through 2015.
Sanchez could walk through downtown Dallas unbothered, but he’s big news in Mexico. He backstopped a talented Mexican collection to the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup championship.
Last week, Sanchez was big in the nets as Mexico claimed top honors in Puebla, Mexico, during CONCACAF qualifying for the Under-20 World Cup later this summer in Turkey.
Sanchez turns 19 in April. We see young goalkeepers struggle in MLS if fed to the world too early; Zac MacMath in Philadelphia is a good example. Still, you wonder how long before Sanchez can push to displace one of those in the top ‘keeper pairing around FCD?
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 0
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 1
- Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week 6