Mar 6, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Three weeks ago, Juventus and Celtic took the top of the marquee on their Champions League match day, pushing Paris Saint-Germain’s trip to Valencia to a supporting role. But with the Old Lady having all but killed that tie off in Glasgow, PSG’s attempt move into the quarterfinals gets top billing today. They’ll be the first choice game on your cable box come Wednesday afternoon.
Normally that would thrust Zlatan Ibrahimovic center stage, but thanks to a controversial red card at the end of the Parisians’ trip to Spain, “Ibra” is suspended for the second leg. If PSG’s going to defend their 2-1 league, they’re going to have to do so without their best player.
While Carlo Ancelotti didn’t commit to how he’d replace Ibrahimovic, his squad leaves few options:
Kevin Gameiro could replace [suspended] Zlatan Ibrahimović, that’s one option, but we could also change our game plan, although Gameiro and Ezequiel Lavezzi are our only available strikers.
One star that seems likely to play is David Beckham, The former LA Galaxy playmakers has been impressive in his two appearances with PSG. Reading Ancelotti’s words, it seems team’s new regista is battling for a spot in the squad’s starting lineup:
He provides us with his qualities and his character and he’s as important as any other player here. Maybe he will play tomorrow, in place of the suspended Marco Verratti, maybe he won’t.
We could ask Ancelotti anything and get the same answer. Maybe Beckham’s a soccer fembot. Maybe not. Perhaps Ibrahimovic is a Norse footballing god. Perhaps not. Maybe Thiago Motta’s still throwing darts at headshots of Sergio Busquets. Or maybe his back won’t let him. The wisdom of Carlo is rather predictable.
Thankfully, Valencia coach Ernesto Valverde spoke with more certainty:
What are our tactics for the match? The same as those we used in the first leg, but hopefully without conceding. Seriously, we were punished by PSG on the break. We dominated possession but they were the more dangerous team. It’s up to us to take our chances.
Here’s the report from that match, a game where the difference was in the midfields. For Paris Saint-Germain, Blaise Matuidi had a great game, Marco Veratti was strong, while Lucas Moura and Javier Pastore each contributed to goals. For Valencia, Ever Banega and Dani Parejo were non-factors, while Tino Costa was off target for a half.
With Thiago Silva back, Paris Saint-Germain will be better situated to hold out, if they even need to. Ibrahimovic did not play a major part in either first leg goal, and if Valencia stays vulnerable to the counter attack, Lavezzi, Pastore, and Moura provide enough danger to steal a vital third goal.
But having scored twice at the Mestalla, PSG may not need it.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Confederations Cup completely worth it when it provides matches like these.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There’re no shortage of players to praise after the U.S. completes a nine-out-of-nine run.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 0
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (27)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public