Mar 6, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
Let’s take a moment to acknowledge Rachel Buehler, now with 100 caps to her senior national team resumé. Three minutes into the second half of today’s match against Iceland, the 27-year-old central defender headed home her fourth international goal, one made all the more special but the yellow band on her arm. While the tally’s unlikely to rival the goal Buehler scored in the 2011 World Cup, her celebration speaks to the special nature of a 100th cap goal.
The Americans converted on another corner 14 minutes later, albeit on the fourth header of the sequence. Shannon Boxx got the final touch, putting a ball back across goal from the right post to give the U.S. a 2-0 lead.
Abby Wambach may have scored the final goal, but as with so many of her (and her teammates) goals during the last year, Alex Morgan was at the heart. Her effort to beat the defense through the left channel brought the keeper out of goal. When Morgan was able to get her pass back across the six, Wambach had one of the easiest of her 154 career goals.
Here are the highlights, courtesy of U.S. Soccer. The team now waits for their Friday match against China, a team that drew Sweden 1-1 on Wednesday.
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 1
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago