Mar 6, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
Let’s take a moment to acknowledge Rachel Buehler, now with 100 caps to her senior national team resumé. Three minutes into the second half of today’s match against Iceland, the 27-year-old central defender headed home her fourth international goal, one made all the more special but the yellow band on her arm. While the tally’s unlikely to rival the goal Buehler scored in the 2011 World Cup, her celebration speaks to the special nature of a 100th cap goal.
The Americans converted on another corner 14 minutes later, albeit on the fourth header of the sequence. Shannon Boxx got the final touch, putting a ball back across goal from the right post to give the U.S. a 2-0 lead.
Abby Wambach may have scored the final goal, but as with so many of her (and her teammates) goals during the last year, Alex Morgan was at the heart. Her effort to beat the defense through the left channel brought the keeper out of goal. When Morgan was able to get her pass back across the six, Wambach had one of the easiest of her 154 career goals.
Here are the highlights, courtesy of U.S. Soccer. The team now waits for their Friday match against China, a team that drew Sweden 1-1 on Wednesday.
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 0
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 2
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio