Mar 6, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
Let’s take a moment to acknowledge Rachel Buehler, now with 100 caps to her senior national team resumé. Three minutes into the second half of today’s match against Iceland, the 27-year-old central defender headed home her fourth international goal, one made all the more special but the yellow band on her arm. While the tally’s unlikely to rival the goal Buehler scored in the 2011 World Cup, her celebration speaks to the special nature of a 100th cap goal.
The Americans converted on another corner 14 minutes later, albeit on the fourth header of the sequence. Shannon Boxx got the final touch, putting a ball back across goal from the right post to give the U.S. a 2-0 lead.
Abby Wambach may have scored the final goal, but as with so many of her (and her teammates) goals during the last year, Alex Morgan was at the heart. Her effort to beat the defense through the left channel brought the keeper out of goal. When Morgan was able to get her pass back across the six, Wambach had one of the easiest of her 154 career goals.
Here are the highlights, courtesy of U.S. Soccer. The team now waits for their Friday match against China, a team that drew Sweden 1-1 on Wednesday.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes