Mar 7, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
American goalkeeper Brad Friedel may not be the first choice at White Hart Lane for EPL matches, but manager Andre Villas-Boas has leaned on his trusty veteran in Europa League.
Tottenham is certainly rolling, with the fabulously in-form Gareth Bale providing a mighty push as Villas-Boas’ men are sitting third in the Premiership table.
Injuries and infighting have reduced the Italian club, where manager Andrea Stramaccioni sounds a bit glum over it all: “Although we’ll give 100 percent and honor the competition, our main objective is to finish third in Serie A.”
Presumably, they’ll go ahead and field 11 men.
The Italians will not, at least, need to deal with U.S. international Clint Dempsey, whose lingering calf injury must be increasingly worrisome to national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann. They have a pretty big game coming up, you know.
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0