Mar 7, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
What, did they build DSG Park on ancient burial grounds or something? Because the Colorado Rapids cannot catch a break right now.
Oscar Pareja’s team left a pretty fair account on the field last week, as his reconstructed roster – a little more technical know-how, a little less ball-winning force, all the better for the way this regime wants to play – pressed Dallas in a 1-0 loss in Texas.
That was especially encouraging considering two of the Rapids most important attackers, Martin Rivero and Jaime Castrillon, are injured and nowhere close to getting back on the field.
But the Rapids are now back in friendlier Colorado for their own home opener, about to face a young Philadelphia team … and now this!
A late-winter storm is bearing down on the Rockies, and things could get seriously ugly. The word “Blizzard” is being thrown around – and those are hardly the best conditions for the shorter-passing game Colorado would prefer to play.
Pareja, for his part, does seem unfazed:
We’re in Colorado. That’s the nature of our weather, and we deal with it.”
Selfishly, I have to say, the thought of breaking out the orange soccer balls always adds a little pep in my soccer step. Of course, I’m not one of the poor souls with tickets, about to go sit out in the white, fluffy stuff.
They are talking about a foot of snow, by the way. A foot!
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 0
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 2
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (13)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team