Mar 7, 2013, 8:33 AM EDT
Obviously, a goal would have been nice to have.
Or even a scoreless draw.
But all things considered, the Seattle Sounders cannot hate their place as they board a plane today in Monterrey. Sigi Schmid’s team fell to Tigres on Wednesday, 1-0, and will take the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series back to friendlier grounds with a sporting chance here.
So much was thanks to goalkeeper Michael Gspurning, who looked every bit of the high ranking we gave him in our MLS 2013 positional rankings (No. 2, behind only Sporting Kansas City Jimmy Nielsen).
Djimi Traore and Leo Gonzalez were generally strong along the Sounders back line, never mind the big edge in shots to the home team (18-3). The midfield was not nearly as effective for Schmid’s men.
Either way, this certainly beats a 6-1 hammering; that was the score the last time Seattle met Mexican competition south of the border in CCL play.
The return leg is Tuesday at CenturyLink Field in Seattle.
Highlights are here:
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in next round 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 8
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- United States player ratings vs. Honduras 2
- What we learned from the U.S. World Cup qualifier win over Honduras 6
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public