Mar 7, 2013, 9:49 AM EST
It’s a little difficult to love the LA Galaxy’s chances of gaining a result tonight as Bruce Arena’s team completes the trio of MLS-involved quarterfinal series openers in CONCACAF Champions League.
But I don’t find it so hard to like the Galaxy chances.
Costa Rica’s Herediano is the opposition, currently unbeaten in its last four matches as the teams launch their CCL quarterfinal series. Tonight’s contest (8 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel) is on the FieldTurf of Estadio Eladio Rosabal Cordero, a smaller field, typically stacked and packed, where the hard-core fans are right on top of the playing surface. (It’s very “Jeld-Wen” that way … so it’s nothing the Galaxy hasn’t seen before.)
The Galaxy will be fighting this CONCACAF fight with a shorter stick. Landon Donovan is still on vacation, and the two-time defending MLS champs have yet to replace David Beckham and his Designated Player ability.
On the other hand, the Galaxy roster remains full of workers, and Arena’s teams are typically wise and well-organized. Those elements, along with some strong performances along the back line – which commanding center back Omar Gonzalez is sure to deliver, for one – are exactly what the soccer doctors order in these regional clashes.
The likes of Todd Dunivant, Mike Magee, A.J. DeLaGarza, Sean Franklin, Juninho, Robbie Keane and others can be counted on to find the right spots, and to put in the work once they get there.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park