Mar 7, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
It’s a little difficult to love the LA Galaxy’s chances of gaining a result tonight as Bruce Arena’s team completes the trio of MLS-involved quarterfinal series openers in CONCACAF Champions League.
But I don’t find it so hard to like the Galaxy chances.
Costa Rica’s Herediano is the opposition, currently unbeaten in its last four matches as the teams launch their CCL quarterfinal series. Tonight’s contest (8 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel) is on the FieldTurf of Estadio Eladio Rosabal Cordero, a smaller field, typically stacked and packed, where the hard-core fans are right on top of the playing surface. (It’s very “Jeld-Wen” that way … so it’s nothing the Galaxy hasn’t seen before.)
The Galaxy will be fighting this CONCACAF fight with a shorter stick. Landon Donovan is still on vacation, and the two-time defending MLS champs have yet to replace David Beckham and his Designated Player ability.
On the other hand, the Galaxy roster remains full of workers, and Arena’s teams are typically wise and well-organized. Those elements, along with some strong performances along the back line – which commanding center back Omar Gonzalez is sure to deliver, for one – are exactly what the soccer doctors order in these regional clashes.
The likes of Todd Dunivant, Mike Magee, A.J. DeLaGarza, Sean Franklin, Juninho, Robbie Keane and others can be counted on to find the right spots, and to put in the work once they get there.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 25
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 2
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (25)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team