Let’s talk about Brazil 2014 for a minute

Mar 7, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT

FBL-WC2014-QUALIFIERS-HON-USA

I know, I know. We’re more than a year away and it’s already in the news too much. But allow me to share an anecdote from earlier in the week. A friend of mine is Brazilian. I asked him if he thought I should go to the World Cup. He laughed and said a lot of people have been asking him. His response:

“I asked them a question: ‘Do you want to go to Brazil or do you want to go to a World Cup?’ If they say, ‘I want to go to the World Cup,’ I say, ‘Go to the next one.’ If they say, ‘I want to go to Brazil,’ I say, ‘Go some time that’s not during the World Cup.'”

Personally, I’m inclined to agree with him. The World Cup is a tremendous experience. Everyone should go to one in their lifetime if they are lucky enough to have the means. But I’m not sure Brazil is the right one, especially when we continue to get articles like this one on ESPN.com that reports on fan violence:

Research carried out by sports paper Lance! last year revealed that 155 people were killed by football-related violence in Brazil between 1988 and 2012, and 103 of the incidents involved firearms — a clear sign of the criminal element within many groups. The total of arrests made in relation to the deaths, meanwhile, stood at a pitiful 27. It is not difficult to see why some members of these groups consider themselves to be above the law.

Yes, that’s dramatic and cherry-picked, but it still happens. And yes, they said the same thing about South Africa and South Africa went fine for the most part. But I’m worried about the crush of people, the inadequate infrastructure, and the general mood.

I don’t know. Are you going to go? I’m genuinely interested in hearing the opinions. I’m of two minds. I just don’t know. I gotta say, I hear Russia is nice…

1. joeyt360 - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Easy for him to say. I’m sure four years later the Russians will be saying the same thing.

2. creek0512 - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar. When you let corrupt people run FIFA you get the World Cup held in corrupt countries.

• mvktr2 - Mar 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Show me an incorrupt country and I’ll point out the flying pigs, money trees, and a cure for the common cold. ;)

I get your point and it’s a valid one. I’d put it as the corrupt nature of FIFA produces results where the WC is placed in less ordered societies (not so much more corrupt). From much of the rest of the world’s perspective, and I don’t just mean places with an axe to grind, the US is the most corrupt country on earth what with our having overthrown a couple dozen democratically elected leaders and usually installing a dictator/puppet and oh so much more.

Additionally I don’t really have an issue with the WC being in SA, Brazil or Russia. It’s Qatar that doesn’t make any sense and that’s not just because they ‘beat’ out the US. You might as well award it to the state of Virginia … it makes just as much sense.

3. brownews - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

You right, stay home and watch TV. There is drugdealers, firearms, people get killed every corner.

4. brownews - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM

… A world cup has nothing to do with a national championship.

Brasil is one of the most exciting country i have been. Spend 2 years in Rio.
    I went to Maracana several times and you know what? It was magic !

Stop to watch TV.
    And get your passport ready!!!

5. simonbruyn - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I just don’t buy the idea that it’ll be the same experience at the world cup as at a Brazilian league game. The price of tickets alone will severely alter the type of crowds that will be appearing at games, not to mention the lack of rivalry (with exception to perhaps a brazil-argentina match).

I just don’t think the assumptions that are made in this article are correct.

• mvktr2 - Mar 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Very much how I see it!

People tend to be afraid of:
      1-the unknown
      2-people they don’t understand/people that are different
      3-and people tend to be insecure about new experiences

All this mean foreign travel is a challenge, especially if it takes one outside their comfort zone. Take Mexico for example, there are huge expat communities there whom experience no problem whatsoever. Chile, Argentina, & Uruguay are all expat destinations for a number of nationalities. Act as you would in any big city and I’d say the chances of something violent occurring are only very slightly higher in a place you’re unfamiliar with, chiefly because of the unfamiliarity. If one knows where to avoid, voila!

6. johnnyonsports - Mar 12, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Probably not ready… certainly don’t want leaking hotels and flooded stadiums. This article happens to think so: http://cricketsoccer.com/brazil-are-playing-a-dangerous-host-game/

Week 3: Saturday Premier League recap