Mar 7, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Barcelona’s recent form has been pretty. Pretty ugly. The club lost to AC Milan, then fell to Real Madrid twice in a row. While the Spanish giants did manage to get past Sevilla and Granada that’s like saying, well, I don’t know exactly. But it’s like saying something not all that impressive.
You know who is also not impressed? McKayla Maroney. Still. Oh, and for our purposes here, Lionel Messi.
“It’s obvious that we need to give a bit more,” the Argentine talisman said during some promotional event. He would like to start winning again because losing is not any fun.
The team sits 11 points clear of Madrid in La Liga with pretty terrible Deportivo La Coruna coming to Camp Nou this weekend, so they don’t have to worry too much about the Spanish league title, at least not yet. But still when you’re Barca it’s more about the quality of the play than the victories. And Messi isn’t happy.
“We know what the problems were in the defeats, it’s something we have talked about in the dressing room and it has to stay there,” he offered. Translation: Yes, I know. I’m pissed, too. Please stop asking about it now or I will have Pique come out here and start singing Shakira.
Messi is confident his club can rectify the situation, and do so quickly: “We have been losing recently and we know what we have to do to change.”
We don’t have any doubts it will happen. But these are some strong-ish words from Messi. Is this a new-look for the playmaker? Messi the leader, Messi the outspoken? Or is it just Messi the world-famous player who was at a promotional event and who was forced to speak to the press and whose answers were blown out of proportion? Perhaps a little of both?
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 1
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 6
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0