Mar 7, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Well, this is truly wonderful news.
I was getting worried that RFK Stadium in our nation’s capital was getting to be too perfect as a Major League Soccer venue.
Seriously, it really is a wonderful venue in terms of atmosphere. It down-sizes quite well. (Aside: How freakin’ awesome is it that “down-size” has been more or less erased from the American soccer vernacular? It was once a staple of any MLS stadium-related piece, unpleasant necessity that it was.)
RFK Stadium is in the middle of the city, on a rail line, sufficiently gritty to wear its rich history well. The full-sized pitch is generally plush.
I mean, if the doggone place wasn’t one more falling concrete slab from being officially condemned, this place would be a domestic soccer Shangri-La! And we wouldn’t want that! A bunch of people discovering our little secret, making tickets more expensive, parking yet harder to come by and further jacking up the cost of an all-beef dogger.
Well, no worries now.
This is happening, just in time for D.C. United’s home opener. Gridlock alert!
Of course, you could bike! The link above has details. Although it might be a little cold for Saturday’s home opener against Real Salt Lake. (A team that has never won at RFK, by the way.)
Seriously … when, for the love of all that’s good, will MLS and D.C. United be able to extricate themselves from the RFK financial sinkhole? Sigh.
“Financial sinkhole” is a term we have not, alas, wiped off the menu of recurring MLS story word choices.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement