Mar 7, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
After being dropped by Sir Alex Ferguson for Manchester United’s biggest match of the season, England international and former Red Devil talisman, Wayne Rooney has no choices left at Old Trafford in my book. He must leave the Theater of Dreams and the sooner the better.
To be left on the bench as the most important trophy in club football slipped through United’s fingers must’ve been agony for the darling of the Stretford End. What does it say about his standing within the club and more importantly his manager. Ferguson has indulged Rooney many times over the years since his move from Everton and it appears from the outside looking in that their relationship is broken.
Rooney is a head strong, volatile player that wants to grace the big occasions and it doesn’t get any bigger than Real Madrid in the last 16 of the Uefa Champions League. Pundits may say that United’s plan was working superbly up until Nani was sensationally and controversially sent off but in my book, leaving your most explosive player on the bench was a mistake. It said to Jose Mourinho ‘we don’t believe that our best player is good enough to handle whatever you throw at him’.
We now have to ask where will Rooney go once he collects yet another Premier League winners medal come May. With a host of possible suitors, one team stands out, Paris Saint-Germain
If Rooney moves to France and teams up with a certain United legend, David Beckham, I believe that his all round game will improve because it has stagnated in the last few seasons in England. Rooney needs to surround himself with players that are out of this world if he wants to continue developing as a global superstar. In Paris he’ll have all that and more and he’ll also have a manager in Carlo Ancelotti who’ll believe in him come crunch time.
Should Rooney head to Paris?
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 4
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0