Mar 8, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
Weather report in three words for this week’s MLS 2013 opener at Dicks Sporting Goods Park outside Denver: “Snowy and nasty.”
The pictures may be pretty. And who doesn’t get a little perky at the chance to see those tell-tale orange balls broken out of the supply closet?
But there is a meaningful element to consider here, one that supporters beyond Colorado will want to hear about.
DSG Park, two weeks from tonight, will be the sight of a fairly important U.S. national team World Cup qualifier. The margin for error is small here, so any and all mitigating factors deserve to be pinned to the wall, studied and then talked about.
Here’s me pinning this one:
The March 22 opposition is from Costa Rica, of course. Most of the Costa Ricans play professionally in their temperate homeland, where “winter” is just something they talk about in passing. There is no “winter” to speak of in the small Central American nation, which rest just atop Panama.
And it certainly could be cold (and / or snowy) on March 22 in Denver.
Anyone recall the day DSG Park opened? On April 7, 2007 – a bitterly cold and wet day. (FYI, Herculez Gomez, sure to be part of Jurgen Klinsmann team in two weeks, scored the first goal at DSG Park on that day back in 2007. Hmmm. Stick that into your Uncle Sam hat and let it simmer a bit!)
The Ticos do have men who play in Europe. And they have one prominent striker, Real Salt Lake’s Alvaro Saborio, who certainly has played a cold weather game or two at Rio Tinto Stadium in Utah. But generally, they aren’t used to the fluffy stuff, nor to chilling winds.
Meanwhile, start scratching out a list of possible U.S. starters and you’ll arrive quickly at eight or nine who pass and trap in Europe.
On the other hand … if the field conditions deteriorate, that creates a game where fate and fortune are more in play. The United States, sure to be a moderate favorite, doesn’t necessarily need any of that.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Former Inter star sends Juve down to the Europa League with help from Didier Drogba.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? Check out how the sides stack up after a double dose of action last week:
Dec 11, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Any takers on these three countries as potential upset-springers in Brazil?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Could Newcastle set a standard in offering exclusive access to paying media members?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:31 AM EST
Has Wayne Rooney rejected contract talks with Manchester United? Can a suitor pry Vincent Kompany from City? All this and more in Wednesday’s transfer rumor roundup.
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"