Mar 8, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
Whoa! Who saw this coming?
The Red Bulls will be without Juninho – their “Juninho,” not the league’s West Coast-based Juninho – for this weekend’s trip to San Jose.
Red Bulls manager Mike Petke revealed so after Thursday’s snowy practice in New Jersey.
Here’s the thing: no one should be surprised that a guy born before the U.S. Bicentennial is going to run into injury problems. Everyone had the same thought when New York signed the 38-year-old Brazilian. (Cynical much? Probably … It is what it is.)
It’s not just that he’s 38. He’s a 38-year-old midfielder (extra running, even if Dax McCarty is busy and nimble enough to pull extra duty), now dealing with those vagaries of MLS that we always talk about. The travel across such a big land is tough on the older bones. (The Red Bulls are making their second cross-country road trip in two weeks.)
And what about artificial turf, on which Juninho made his MLS debut last week in Portland? That adds some extra stress and strain on the joints and such.
By the way, San Jose will be in no mood this week. Frank Yallop’s proud Supporters Shield winners were shut out at home, frustratingly so. Sunday’s 10 p.m. ET kickoff is on ESPN2.
For New York’s sake, here’s hoping this is merely an “injury” and not the early makings of trend.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public