Mar 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
I am no doctor, but I know that “two broken bones in his back” cannot be a good place to start any conversation about such an important man to Everton and to the United States national team — especially when it concerns the team’s longtime, trusty guardian in goal.
Tim Howard appears to have a fairly significant back issue and will miss at least a month. That’s terrible news for Everton, which is having such a great season and remains positioned to claim one of the European tournament spots for 2013-14.
Over here, it’s also distressing news, because that puts Howard out for the United States’ national team’s pair of World Cup qualifiers. The first is two weeks from today in Denver against Costa Rica; four days later the United States meets bitter border rival Mexico at Azteca.
So it looks like this will be Brad Guzan’s time to shine.
Guzan, as we keep saying, is having a great season despite the goals flying in around Aston Villa.
Real Salt Lake’s Nick Rimando is the third-choice ‘keeper for U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann, now presumably promoted into the No. 2 goalkeeping chair.
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''