Mar 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
I am no doctor, but I know that “two broken bones in his back” cannot be a good place to start any conversation about such an important man to Everton and to the United States national team — especially when it concerns the team’s longtime, trusty guardian in goal.
Tim Howard appears to have a fairly significant back issue and will miss at least a month. That’s terrible news for Everton, which is having such a great season and remains positioned to claim one of the European tournament spots for 2013-14.
Over here, it’s also distressing news, because that puts Howard out for the United States’ national team’s pair of World Cup qualifiers. The first is two weeks from today in Denver against Costa Rica; four days later the United States meets bitter border rival Mexico at Azteca.
So it looks like this will be Brad Guzan’s time to shine.
Guzan, as we keep saying, is having a great season despite the goals flying in around Aston Villa.
Real Salt Lake’s Nick Rimando is the third-choice ‘keeper for U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann, now presumably promoted into the No. 2 goalkeeping chair.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public