Mar 8, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Juan Agudelo, you are on alert.
U.S. assistant coach Martin Vasquez will be in stands this weekend as the Chivas USA striker and his team meet FC Dallas in MLS play, according to information from U.S. Soccer.
Whether the seemingly quirky Chivas USA manager, Jose Luis Sanchez Sola starts the young U.S. striker this week … that’s another story.
U.S. winger Joe Gyau (pictured) was under U.S. eyes as well Friday as St. Pauli won at home over SSV Jahn Regensburg. Gyau, who is actually property of TSG 1899 Hoffenheim but currently on loan to the St. Pauli of the 2.Bundesliga, started for the Hamburg based club.
U.S. assistant Matthias Hamann watched that one. He’ll take a short train ride east to Berlin for Sunday’s Hertha Berlin-Duisburg contest. Young U.S. defender/midfielder Alfredo Morales is on Hertha’s roster, but not getting much playing time this year.
Andi Herzog is in Turkey for a clash between two of that country’s best, Fenerbahce and Bursaspor. U.S. midfielder Maurice Edu is in his second full month with Bursaspor, on loan from Stoke City. This is Edu’s first taste of soccer life on the edge, a match at the Instanbul club’s notoriously roiling Mabet. (“Mabet” because I have no idea if my keyboard of your screen will faithfully support the characters involved in Fenerbahce’s Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium.)
From an MLSSoccer.com account of what Edu has in store.
Edu will get his first taste of the unhinged madness that ensues at Fenerbahçe home matches. He can become only the second American to defeat the Yellow Canaries in a Süper Lig match, joining Brad Friedel. The Green Crocodiles have won only one of their last six road games in league play, and are winless in eight against their nearby rivals. But if they can grab full points in this one, Bursaspor will jump over Fenerbahçe and move into third place.
“Unhinged madness,” eh? Good luck with all that, Mo.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s