Mar 8, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
Juan Agudelo, you are on alert.
U.S. assistant coach Martin Vasquez will be in stands this weekend as the Chivas USA striker and his team meet FC Dallas in MLS play, according to information from U.S. Soccer.
Whether the seemingly quirky Chivas USA manager, Jose Luis Sanchez Sola starts the young U.S. striker this week … that’s another story.
U.S. winger Joe Gyau (pictured) was under U.S. eyes as well Friday as St. Pauli won at home over SSV Jahn Regensburg. Gyau, who is actually property of TSG 1899 Hoffenheim but currently on loan to the St. Pauli of the 2.Bundesliga, started for the Hamburg based club.
U.S. assistant Matthias Hamann watched that one. He’ll take a short train ride east to Berlin for Sunday’s Hertha Berlin-Duisburg contest. Young U.S. defender/midfielder Alfredo Morales is on Hertha’s roster, but not getting much playing time this year.
Andi Herzog is in Turkey for a clash between two of that country’s best, Fenerbahce and Bursaspor. U.S. midfielder Maurice Edu is in his second full month with Bursaspor, on loan from Stoke City. This is Edu’s first taste of soccer life on the edge, a match at the Instanbul club’s notoriously roiling Mabet. (“Mabet” because I have no idea if my keyboard of your screen will faithfully support the characters involved in Fenerbahce’s Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium.)
From an MLSSoccer.com account of what Edu has in store.
Edu will get his first taste of the unhinged madness that ensues at Fenerbahçe home matches. He can become only the second American to defeat the Yellow Canaries in a Süper Lig match, joining Brad Friedel. The Green Crocodiles have won only one of their last six road games in league play, and are winless in eight against their nearby rivals. But if they can grab full points in this one, Bursaspor will jump over Fenerbahçe and move into third place.
“Unhinged madness,” eh? Good luck with all that, Mo.
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snags wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 17
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 8
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Here’s how it’s going to work 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)