Mar 8, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Juan Agudelo, you are on alert.
U.S. assistant coach Martin Vasquez will be in stands this weekend as the Chivas USA striker and his team meet FC Dallas in MLS play, according to information from U.S. Soccer.
Whether the seemingly quirky Chivas USA manager, Jose Luis Sanchez Sola starts the young U.S. striker this week … that’s another story.
U.S. winger Joe Gyau (pictured) was under U.S. eyes as well Friday as St. Pauli won at home over SSV Jahn Regensburg. Gyau, who is actually property of TSG 1899 Hoffenheim but currently on loan to the St. Pauli of the 2.Bundesliga, started for the Hamburg based club.
U.S. assistant Matthias Hamann watched that one. He’ll take a short train ride east to Berlin for Sunday’s Hertha Berlin-Duisburg contest. Young U.S. defender/midfielder Alfredo Morales is on Hertha’s roster, but not getting much playing time this year.
Andi Herzog is in Turkey for a clash between two of that country’s best, Fenerbahce and Bursaspor. U.S. midfielder Maurice Edu is in his second full month with Bursaspor, on loan from Stoke City. This is Edu’s first taste of soccer life on the edge, a match at the Instanbul club’s notoriously roiling Mabet. (“Mabet” because I have no idea if my keyboard of your screen will faithfully support the characters involved in Fenerbahce’s Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium.)
From an MLSSoccer.com account of what Edu has in store.
Edu will get his first taste of the unhinged madness that ensues at Fenerbahçe home matches. He can become only the second American to defeat the Yellow Canaries in a Süper Lig match, joining Brad Friedel. The Green Crocodiles have won only one of their last six road games in league play, and are winless in eight against their nearby rivals. But if they can grab full points in this one, Bursaspor will jump over Fenerbahçe and move into third place.
“Unhinged madness,” eh? Good luck with all that, Mo.
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 0
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 2
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (13)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team