You are a brave, brave young man, Nick DeLeon

Mar 8, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

A few years back, Larry King was on set and being told: “You don’t tattoo somebody’s name on your body if it’s brief and unimportant, let’s put it that way. Romance fades, tats are forever!”

That was Scary Spice.

And I’m thinking, when your life gets to a point where you might, just might, be seeking good counsel from Scary Spice … you might just need to take a step back.

Be that as it may, D.C. United’s young blur of an attacker, Nick DeLeon, bravely assesses his dalliance with D.C. will be no brief and unimportant thing. It shouldn’t be; coming off a debut professional campaign of abundant MLS Rookie of the Year talk, DeLeon and United have every reason to believe in a bright sophomore season ahead.

Let’s hope so, because … this:

(Thanks to D.C. United communications ace Sarah Lerner for the pic).

source:

1. valiantdraws - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Except this isn’t a romance. It’s his first pro club. Tattoos are like a living scrapbook for many people, and even if he only played one season, this is a tattoo (NOT a tat, or a tatt, or ink, or whatever stupid slang term you want to assign to it) that is worth getting. They took a chance on him. He won rookie of the year. And this tattoo commemorates that.

As a heavily tattooed individual myself, this is something I wouldn’t hesitate to get.

• crnelson10 - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

While I agree with you completely on the scrapbook part (see my right arm for evidence), I feel like with professional sports teams, you may need to wait a little longer to do this. If for some reason, DC has to trade DeLeon (hypothetical) and the only option is New York- well, that tat would sure come up with the fans. Like that kid who just committed to play for Alabama when he has a giant Auburn logo on his arm.

• unitedlee - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Yeah. Rubin Foster had to change that tat dues to his Bama commitment. I think he place an arrow or something over it. Looks good on Nick though!

2. Steve Davis - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I’m just bustin’ the man’s chops a little. I don’t really have any problem with this.

3. dfstell - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Good for him. I don’t have any problems with people doing weird – but interesting – things to their bodies. I don’t want to do it myself, but it is fun to watch.

4. mvktr2 - Mar 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I’d rather talk about his 9th grade ‘tough guy’ stash paired with full beard! :D

My wife has tats, I do not. Sure settle down, have a few kids, but tattoos are just too permanent! :) I kid I kid!

PST Extra: What next for Man United?