Mar 9, 2013, 11:52 AM EST
Major League Soccer (@MLS) March 09, 2013
Oh, c’mon! Are you telling me you couldn’t play in that?
Okay, I believe you. Putting the ball in the picture provides some perspective. Today’s game in Commerce was just not going to happen. Instead, MLS has rescheduled the Rapids’ home opener against Philadelphia for tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET.
From the linked announcement:
“As always, the safety of our fans, staff and athletes is paramount, and the conditions in the Denver area preclude the game from being played as originally scheduled.” MLS EVP of competition and game operations Nelson Rodriguez said in a league statement. “We would like to thank both clubs for working with us to plan accordingly and we look forward to their match on Sunday at 1 pm local time.”
An earlier starts and later finishes mean a few more Major League Soccer matches will fall into iffy weather windows. Today’s match was a casualty. Northern Europe deals with this every once in a while, and thanks to the ever-expanding MLS calendar, our domestic league gets to deal with it, too.
More, this time from Tim Hinchey:
“We had hoped and planned to play our match as scheduled, but we cannot put staff, fans, and players from both teams at risk by asking them to travel or play in unsafe conditions,” Rapids club president Tim Hinchey said in a statement. “The weather, roads and field will clear up by Sunday at 1:00, and we look forward to welcoming everyone to Dick’s Sporting Goods Park for our home opener at that time.”
Commence with your obligatory soccer calendar observations. Feel free to assume Sepp Blatter’s reading. Now is the time.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3