Mar 9, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
There wasn’t much Jan Mucha could do about the four crucial first half minutes that knocked Everton out of the FA Cup.
The Toffees’ No. 2, in for the injured Tim Howard, was left hung out to dry from minutes 30 to 33 on Saturday, a span in which visiting Wigan scored three times. With goals by Maynor Figueroa, Connor McNamara and Jordi Gomez, the Latics were up 3-0, a score that held through the final whistle, giving the Latics a place in the FA Cup semifinals.
It was a huge win for Wigan, and not only because of their decisive result at one of the Premier League’s stronger sides. The win punches their ticket to Wembley, an unexpected honor for a team in the midst of their annual relegation battle.
Wigan looked anything but embattled on Saturday, though Everton’s defending may have been the bigger culprit. Figueroa was relatively uncontested while converting the 30th minute corner, and a terrible back pass from Phil Neville created Connor McNamara’s 31st minute scores. Wigan deserves full credit for Gomez’s 33rd minute tally — a left-footed finish from near the arc that went just inside Mucha’s right post — but by then the winning goal had already been tallied.
Here are the goals, courtesy of FOX Soccer:
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public