Mar 9, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
There wasn’t much Jan Mucha could do about the four crucial first half minutes that knocked Everton out of the FA Cup.
The Toffees’ No. 2, in for the injured Tim Howard, was left hung out to dry from minutes 30 to 33 on Saturday, a span in which visiting Wigan scored three times. With goals by Maynor Figueroa, Connor McNamara and Jordi Gomez, the Latics were up 3-0, a score that held through the final whistle, giving the Latics a place in the FA Cup semifinals.
It was a huge win for Wigan, and not only because of their decisive result at one of the Premier League’s stronger sides. The win punches their ticket to Wembley, an unexpected honor for a team in the midst of their annual relegation battle.
Wigan looked anything but embattled on Saturday, though Everton’s defending may have been the bigger culprit. Figueroa was relatively uncontested while converting the 30th minute corner, and a terrible back pass from Phil Neville created Connor McNamara’s 31st minute scores. Wigan deserves full credit for Gomez’s 33rd minute tally — a left-footed finish from near the arc that went just inside Mucha’s right post — but by then the winning goal had already been tallied.
Here are the goals, courtesy of FOX Soccer:
- VIDEO: “I Was There” visits LA Blues and LA Red Army for Chelsea’s win over United 0
- VIDEO: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller grabs megaphone, leads fans’ celebrations 3
- Bayern Munich 6-1 (7-4, agg.) FC Porto: Bayern obliterate Porto to reach UCL semifinal 2
- Barcelona 2-0 (5-1, agg.) Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar brace eases Barca into Champions League semifinals 0
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0