Mar 9, 2013, 4:57 PM EST
Ryan Nelsen, who won a bunch as a player in MLS, has his first victory as a coach in the league. His team did the “hang on” thing at the end, but no matter.
Toronto FC downed Sporting Kansas City, 2-1, on the Rogers Centre’s dreadful, old school artificial turf. Robert Earnshaw (pictured), the club’s new Welsh striker, put away both goals in his second consecutive impressive performance for the Reds, whose fans have reason to be encouraged.
The team played well last week, not necessarily stylishly, but with resolve in a tight season opening loss at Vancouver. Today, they had a 2-0 lead midway through the second half – and three points from the first two rounds are not bad at all for a club still in remake mode.
There are still plenty of cracks to patch up. TFC’s defensive coordination between midfield and the back wasn’t what it needed to be late.
And what was Danny Califf, veteran center back that he is, thinking in the second half as he continued to protest a yellow card handed him deep in SKC’s end? Califf was well out of position as the ball moved forward, and the goal that let Kansas City back into the game is 100 percent on him.
As for Kansas City … yuk. We’ll have more on that later.
Full match highlights are here:
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"