Mar 9, 2013, 10:06 PM EST
There’s something wrong with the Chicago Fire.
Last week’s 4-0 loss to the under-strength LA Galaxy certainly sent up a warning flare. A big, red smoking one. And make no mistake, the four-goal margin wasn’t even that close.
But then to turn around and lose their home opener, while getting shut out once again – things may be worse in Chicago than we thought.
Yes, there are new men and new things going on around Toyota Park. And yes, Frank Klopas’ team is missing a very important defensive leader in Arne Friedrich. Then again, everybody has new elements to integrate. And most teams are dealing with an injury or two.
And Friedrich has zilch to do with an offense that is 180 minutes into the season without a goal. Chris Rolfe looked better than last week, but still needed more. Meanwhile, striker Sherjill MacDonald absolutely blew two great opportunities that fell to his right foot.
A striker that cannot put away the chances is about as good as a guard dog who can’t bark.
So … yes, Chicago Fire, you are on notice.
Meanwhile, the New England Revolution can be quite proud of their 1-0 win Saturday at chilly Toyota Park. Jerry Bengtson had the goal, but it was all the good work of midfielder Kelyn Rowe. The sophomore pro won a header as Chicago cleared one ball, then got back around the ball to provide a delicate little ball into the back post for Bengtson’s easy header put-away.
More later from New England’s side.
Full match highlights are here:
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 4
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 2
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0