Mar 9, 2013, 9:16 PM EST
Real Salt Lake management knew these days were ahead, when a younger roster would inevitably lead to losses.
The visitors from Utah were in a fairly even, and very tactical, match against D.C. United at RFK Stadium. With both clubs missing their top playmakers – Dwayne De Rosario for United and Javier Morales for RSL – that was hardly surprising.
It may have been a scoreless draw but for a mistake by young Sebastian Velasquez. Velasquez, generally not on the field last year with veteran Will Johnson around, was late pulling forward in the 60th minute, trailing dangerous behind his teammates as RSL cleared a ball initially.
Sure enough, the ball comes stinging back in, goalkeeper Nick Rimando makes a big save, but Lionard Pajoy was there to put home the game-winner. He would have been well offside … but Velasquez clearly kept United’s striker onside.
These are the things young players do – like not understanding that every little detail matters, that even the briefest most of “switching off” can cost a match.
More on D.C. United and what the match looked like from the home team’s side later.
Full highlights are here:
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 3
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"