Mar 9, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Real Salt Lake management knew these days were ahead, when a younger roster would inevitably lead to losses.
The visitors from Utah were in a fairly even, and very tactical, match against D.C. United at RFK Stadium. With both clubs missing their top playmakers – Dwayne De Rosario for United and Javier Morales for RSL – that was hardly surprising.
It may have been a scoreless draw but for a mistake by young Sebastian Velasquez. Velasquez, generally not on the field last year with veteran Will Johnson around, was late pulling forward in the 60th minute, trailing dangerous behind his teammates as RSL cleared a ball initially.
Sure enough, the ball comes stinging back in, goalkeeper Nick Rimando makes a big save, but Lionard Pajoy was there to put home the game-winner. He would have been well offside … but Velasquez clearly kept United’s striker onside.
These are the things young players do – like not understanding that every little detail matters, that even the briefest most of “switching off” can cost a match.
More on D.C. United and what the match looked like from the home team’s side later.
Full highlights are here:
Mar 10, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Two designs left, as NYC FC let their fans pick the franchises new badge ahead of 2015 MLS entry:
Mar 10, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
PST’s lead writer and editor takes an alternative look at all the action from Week 29:
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
German international Kroos: “It is no secret the Premier League is a possibility”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Newcastle’s on-loan forward interesting Arsenal, after stellar 2013-14 campaign:
Mar 10, 2014, 7:17 AM EDT
Could Saints’ talented academy products switch St. Mary’s for Old Trafford this summer?
Mar 9, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
It likely means very little, but it’s a narrative we’ll be watching all year… and the first salvo belongs to the Western Conference.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
He’s in Barcelona. She’s from Colombia. Their kid is named Milan.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
It was a small sample size for the Premier League, but that didn’t stop some stars from shining in Round 29.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
With Levante already trailing Real Madrid 2-0, David Navarro took a red card for a harsh foul on the international star.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
Aside from the Gunners, there shouldn’t be too many hurt feelings amongst the other giants of Europe.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
The Old Lady beats Fiorentina to extend lead atop Serie A, dismiss opponents’ threat to third.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Knee ailment sees Dutch midfielder out of match after 12 minutes.
Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action
Mar 9, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
The Blues are seven points clear, Fulham moves clear to the second tier, and Manchester United illuminate the depths of West Brom.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
It was Valladolid’s first win over Barcelona since October 2012, and “boosted” their record in the rivalry to 4W-5D-23L.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
That’s a photo from an actual Serie A match between Lazio and Atalanta. Wow.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Wilmer Cabrera gets a win in his debut as boss of Chivas USA.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
This Johannsson kid is easily the best Icelandic-Alabaman we’ve seen in a long time.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Meyler capped off a long run with a left-footed finish to score the second of Hull’s three goals in a shutout win over Sunderland on Sunday.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
It’s a horrifying story, and one that is sure to have severe repercussions throughout Ghana’s soccer structure.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
With Pique picking up his fourth yellow against Real Valladolid, he could sit next league match to ensure his availability against Real Madrid.
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 2
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs
- The FIFA World Cup Trophy for the First Time in Sarajevo
- Despite Early Deficit, Revs Could've Climbed Back vs. Dynamo
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan