Mar 10, 2013, 5:25 PM EST
The Colorado Rapids find themselves in a fairly bad place right now – and a pretty ironic one, too.
Two years ago, management fired a coach with a winning way, even if it wasn’t the prettiest way. Gary Smith and his English style worked in this league, as the 2010 MLS Cup proved.
It was rather hard on the eyes, and coach Oscar Pareja’s arrival brought hopes of something that looked more attractive. Well, it is.
The Rapids passing game works. The midfield works – the spacing, the angles and the quickness of thought make all make Colorado an enjoyable team to behold.
Also, one that’s a pretty useless 0-2 after dropping its home opener, the one delayed by a day due to heavy snowfall around Denver.
What the Rapids are missing, and what they need to fix if all that swell passing through the middle third is going to amount to anything:
A striker who can finish ruthlessly; wouldn’t the Rapids loved to have had one to stick something away late, as balls danced near Union goal?
A little tighter defending in critical moments, like the one that young Jack McInerney (pictured) and young Antoine Hoppenot combined to create Sunday, the game-winner in a 2-1 victory for visiting Philadelphia.
Perhaps an upgrade in goal; Matt Pickens is OK, but the Rapids need someone who can make a few more big saves, the kind that turn draws into wins, or those potential losses into draws.
And they need another veteran or two who know how to win. Pablo Mastroeni is one, but he’s on the injury shelf again, limping off after just seven minutes Sunday. Missing a guy like that is surely among the reasons Philadelphia’s game winner came right down the gut.
Speaking of which … Here are the full highlights:
- Manchester United 0-1 Newcastle: Red Devils slip up once again 1
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 15 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 9
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (39)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (21)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)