Mar 10, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
The Colorado Rapids find themselves in a fairly bad place right now – and a pretty ironic one, too.
Two years ago, management fired a coach with a winning way, even if it wasn’t the prettiest way. Gary Smith and his English style worked in this league, as the 2010 MLS Cup proved.
It was rather hard on the eyes, and coach Oscar Pareja’s arrival brought hopes of something that looked more attractive. Well, it is.
The Rapids passing game works. The midfield works – the spacing, the angles and the quickness of thought make all make Colorado an enjoyable team to behold.
Also, one that’s a pretty useless 0-2 after dropping its home opener, the one delayed by a day due to heavy snowfall around Denver.
What the Rapids are missing, and what they need to fix if all that swell passing through the middle third is going to amount to anything:
A striker who can finish ruthlessly; wouldn’t the Rapids loved to have had one to stick something away late, as balls danced near Union goal?
A little tighter defending in critical moments, like the one that young Jack McInerney (pictured) and young Antoine Hoppenot combined to create Sunday, the game-winner in a 2-1 victory for visiting Philadelphia.
Perhaps an upgrade in goal; Matt Pickens is OK, but the Rapids need someone who can make a few more big saves, the kind that turn draws into wins, or those potential losses into draws.
And they need another veteran or two who know how to win. Pablo Mastroeni is one, but he’s on the injury shelf again, limping off after just seven minutes Sunday. Missing a guy like that is surely among the reasons Philadelphia’s game winner came right down the gut.
Speaking of which … Here are the full highlights:
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 6
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3