Mar 10, 2013, 1:17 PM EST
Turns out Daigo Kobayashi wonderfully placed shot early Saturday night at BC Place in Vancouver was just the beginning of a brilliant night of attacking from the Whitecaps.
The 2-1 margin over visiting Columbus doesn’t do justice to the number of quality opportunities that came and went for Martin Rennie’s team.
With Kenny Miller and Kobayashi (pictured, left in the photo) running the attack, Vancouver was especially dominant in the first 45. (Columbus gained a second-half toehold on the match and very nearly equalized at the end, surely worrying to Whitecaps fans who have seen this movie before; Rennie’s side had some trouble seeing out leads like this one in 2012.)
It did take a Columbus defensive boo-boo to assist the home team’s efforts in concocting a game-winner, which Miller finished calmly in guiding his team to a 2-0 start.
Here are all the highlights, including new man Nigel Reo-Coker blowing a sitter from about six yards.
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 2
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1