Mar 10, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
Turns out Daigo Kobayashi wonderfully placed shot early Saturday night at BC Place in Vancouver was just the beginning of a brilliant night of attacking from the Whitecaps.
The 2-1 margin over visiting Columbus doesn’t do justice to the number of quality opportunities that came and went for Martin Rennie’s team.
With Kenny Miller and Kobayashi (pictured, left in the photo) running the attack, Vancouver was especially dominant in the first 45. (Columbus gained a second-half toehold on the match and very nearly equalized at the end, surely worrying to Whitecaps fans who have seen this movie before; Rennie’s side had some trouble seeing out leads like this one in 2012.)
It did take a Columbus defensive boo-boo to assist the home team’s efforts in concocting a game-winner, which Miller finished calmly in guiding his team to a 2-0 start.
Here are all the highlights, including new man Nigel Reo-Coker blowing a sitter from about six yards.
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1