Mar 10, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
Turns out Daigo Kobayashi wonderfully placed shot early Saturday night at BC Place in Vancouver was just the beginning of a brilliant night of attacking from the Whitecaps.
The 2-1 margin over visiting Columbus doesn’t do justice to the number of quality opportunities that came and went for Martin Rennie’s team.
With Kenny Miller and Kobayashi (pictured, left in the photo) running the attack, Vancouver was especially dominant in the first 45. (Columbus gained a second-half toehold on the match and very nearly equalized at the end, surely worrying to Whitecaps fans who have seen this movie before; Rennie’s side had some trouble seeing out leads like this one in 2012.)
It did take a Columbus defensive boo-boo to assist the home team’s efforts in concocting a game-winner, which Miller finished calmly in guiding his team to a 2-0 start.
Here are all the highlights, including new man Nigel Reo-Coker blowing a sitter from about six yards.
- 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks… 1
- Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals? 2
- 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders 0
- Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras 0
- Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1 2
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Darmian to Manchester United, Clasie to Southampton 0