Mar 10, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
Turns out Daigo Kobayashi wonderfully placed shot early Saturday night at BC Place in Vancouver was just the beginning of a brilliant night of attacking from the Whitecaps.
The 2-1 margin over visiting Columbus doesn’t do justice to the number of quality opportunities that came and went for Martin Rennie’s team.
With Kenny Miller and Kobayashi (pictured, left in the photo) running the attack, Vancouver was especially dominant in the first 45. (Columbus gained a second-half toehold on the match and very nearly equalized at the end, surely worrying to Whitecaps fans who have seen this movie before; Rennie’s side had some trouble seeing out leads like this one in 2012.)
It did take a Columbus defensive boo-boo to assist the home team’s efforts in concocting a game-winner, which Miller finished calmly in guiding his team to a 2-0 start.
Here are all the highlights, including new man Nigel Reo-Coker blowing a sitter from about six yards.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona