Mar 11, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
Because when your team cannot score a goal and has started with two clunkers, including a setback in its home opener against a club that missed last year’s playoffs, what you really want to hear that your veteran defensive leader has hit the injury shelf. Indefinitely, it seems.
The Chicago Fire announced this morning that Arne Friedrich gone to Germany, seeking treatment for a lingering hamstring injury and that he will miss – yikes! – “at least a few more weeks.”
Chicago has conceded five goals in its first two contests, and the lack of Friedrich’s guidance, wise and calmly assured, is a big reason why.
For the Fire this is a huge double-whammy. Not only do they miss the skills of a former German international who has probably forgotten more about defending than many younger MLS men have learned to this point, he’s a willing teacher for the younger men along Chicago’s back line.
That includes Jalil Anibaba, but the bulk of the schooling goes to Austin Berry, who can credit Friedrich’s dependable tutelage for a big chunk of last year’s MLS Rookie of the Year honor.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
Bayern dominated once again, scoring six against Wolfsburg, while Schalke proved they’re still able to dominate matches by scoring four.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
Four decades of soccer in the Pacific Northwest were celebrated at CenturyLink Field.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:06 PM EST
The Rapids finally confirm the man who guided them through the preseason would replace Óscar Pareja.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:40 PM EST
Big wins for Man United, Chelsea and Cardiff on a stellar Saturday of PL action:
Mar 8, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Sporting’s title defense begins at CenturyLink Field, with MLS’s first game of the 2014 season available on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Goals from Eto’o, Hazard and Ba with two hands Chelsea crucial win, as title race intensifies:
Mar 8, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Barca could find themselves in third place by the end of the weekend, after losing 1-0 to Valladolid.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
American forward Johannsson does it again, scores beauty to put AZ ahead:
Mar 8, 2014, 1:01 PM EST
The Fulham manager is convinced that his side can avoid the drop. But is that sort of optimism misplaced?
Mar 8, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
Other sides fighting the drop will be thrilled that Stoke and Norwich split the points available at Carrow Road.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
Massive London derby at the Bridge, can Chelsea extend their lead at the top? Watch live, here:
Mar 8, 2014, 12:04 PM EST
Fulham remain dead last in the league after losing to fellow strugglers Cardiff – who themselves aren’t yet out of the woods.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
Saints seal hard-fought win, as Eagles continue to battle at the wrong end of the table:
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Moyes’ offense clicks as United turn on the style against the Baggies:
Mar 8, 2014, 9:42 AM EST
West Brom are in real danger of being relegated after losing to Manchester United at the Hawthorns.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 AM EST
Gunners seals FA Cup semi spot for first time since 2009:
Mar 8, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Both Cardiff and Fulham are in desperate need of all three points – but will either manage to claim victory?
Mar 8, 2014, 9:25 AM EST
Is it a relegation dogfight or simple pursuit of safety? Check out Norwich – Stoke and decide for yourself.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
Can the Eagles seal a big win to climb clear of the bottom three? Will Saints get back on track? Watch live, here:
Mar 8, 2014, 7:53 AM EST
Since his appointment as Tottenham manager, Tim Sherwood has elevated the side from seventh into fifth. But how much praise does he truly deserve?
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 2
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City