Mar 11, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Portland’s Mikael Silvestre will continue to be one of Major League Soccer’s fascinating figures to watch in 2013. That’s part and parcel with being a guy who spent a decade with a global soccer heavy; the former French international spent 10 years at Old Trafford with Manchester United, not to mention four years after that at Arsenal.
But none of that mattered last week when Silvestre seriously stunk up the joint, more or less responsible for two goals as the Timbers tied New York in Oregon.
We know that Portland took a step back over the weekend, losing at Jeld-Wen to Montreal, a.k.a. the early surprise team of MLS 2013.
But what of Silvestre? Most verdicts gave him a moderate thumbs up.
Prost Amerika’s Chris Hardwicke gave Silvestre a 5.5 in its player ratings:
The French defender had a solid if not unremarkable evening on the pitch. There wasn’t much that was noteworthy, but there was a great sliding clearance early on a dangerous Montreal breakaway. … He even managed to get himself involved in a little bit of offensive play. But for the most part, the former Manchester United man did his primary job. While there is nothing spectacular to showcase, Silvestre performed well and is deserving of his starting role.”
More of the same from Oregon Live, where blogger Kip Kesgard appreciated an improving relationship with fellow center back Andrew Jean-Baptiste. Indeed
A poll at Stumptown Footy revealed that voters liked Jean-Baptiste, Donovan Ricketts, Darlington Nagbe and Diego Chara as Timbers Man of the Match.
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 4
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0