Mar 11, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
Portland’s Mikael Silvestre will continue to be one of Major League Soccer’s fascinating figures to watch in 2013. That’s part and parcel with being a guy who spent a decade with a global soccer heavy; the former French international spent 10 years at Old Trafford with Manchester United, not to mention four years after that at Arsenal.
But none of that mattered last week when Silvestre seriously stunk up the joint, more or less responsible for two goals as the Timbers tied New York in Oregon.
We know that Portland took a step back over the weekend, losing at Jeld-Wen to Montreal, a.k.a. the early surprise team of MLS 2013.
But what of Silvestre? Most verdicts gave him a moderate thumbs up.
Prost Amerika’s Chris Hardwicke gave Silvestre a 5.5 in its player ratings:
The French defender had a solid if not unremarkable evening on the pitch. There wasn’t much that was noteworthy, but there was a great sliding clearance early on a dangerous Montreal breakaway. … He even managed to get himself involved in a little bit of offensive play. But for the most part, the former Manchester United man did his primary job. While there is nothing spectacular to showcase, Silvestre performed well and is deserving of his starting role.”
More of the same from Oregon Live, where blogger Kip Kesgard appreciated an improving relationship with fellow center back Andrew Jean-Baptiste. Indeed
A poll at Stumptown Footy revealed that voters liked Jean-Baptiste, Donovan Ricketts, Darlington Nagbe and Diego Chara as Timbers Man of the Match.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park