Mar 11, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Portland’s Mikael Silvestre will continue to be one of Major League Soccer’s fascinating figures to watch in 2013. That’s part and parcel with being a guy who spent a decade with a global soccer heavy; the former French international spent 10 years at Old Trafford with Manchester United, not to mention four years after that at Arsenal.
But none of that mattered last week when Silvestre seriously stunk up the joint, more or less responsible for two goals as the Timbers tied New York in Oregon.
We know that Portland took a step back over the weekend, losing at Jeld-Wen to Montreal, a.k.a. the early surprise team of MLS 2013.
But what of Silvestre? Most verdicts gave him a moderate thumbs up.
Prost Amerika’s Chris Hardwicke gave Silvestre a 5.5 in its player ratings:
The French defender had a solid if not unremarkable evening on the pitch. There wasn’t much that was noteworthy, but there was a great sliding clearance early on a dangerous Montreal breakaway. … He even managed to get himself involved in a little bit of offensive play. But for the most part, the former Manchester United man did his primary job. While there is nothing spectacular to showcase, Silvestre performed well and is deserving of his starting role.”
More of the same from Oregon Live, where blogger Kip Kesgard appreciated an improving relationship with fellow center back Andrew Jean-Baptiste. Indeed
A poll at Stumptown Footy revealed that voters liked Jean-Baptiste, Donovan Ricketts, Darlington Nagbe and Diego Chara as Timbers Man of the Match.
May 22, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Serie A’s two Milanese clubs have yet to move for new head coaches.
May 22, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
Over the last three months, Rafa Benítez has reignited a floundering career.
May 22, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
The hits just keep on coming for the NWSL’s hard-luck team.
May 22, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The U.S. Open Cup draws sometimes need a decoder ring to decipher. Here’s a quick-and-dirty look at the MLS teams’ futures.
May 22, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
If PSG’s willing to take Rooney’s wages of their hands, Manchester United can justify moving on.
May 22, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Houston’s defensive leader sees his banned doubled by the Disciplinary Committee.
May 22, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Tom Sermanni has brought new talent into the national team, but it’s too early to know the extent to which the U.S.’s roster will see new faces.
May 22, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
Cristiano Ronaldo will serve a two-match ban. José Mourinho will skirt it.
May 22, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
Michele Beadle and friends take a look at what NYCFC means to the New York sports scene.
May 22, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
We tend to beat up the Chivas organization for its off-the-wall strategic approaches and front-office instability, but what exactly is wrong with the team on the field?
May 22, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
Yesterday’s announcement included few surprises ahead of the U.S.’s June 2 match at BMO Field.
May 22, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Well, what took them so long to get into the party?
May 22, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
Looks like a mixed bag for the American trio:
May 22, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
As the towering English forward weighs up his options, should he return to Liverpool, sign for West Ham or go elsewhere?
May 22, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
With Dortmund’s main attacker threat out injured, can Dortmund still lift the Champions League trophy?
May 22, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Can the Yankees provide a viable option for New York City FC to play in? Of course they can. Maybe.
May 22, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
They have owners and an employee, but now comes the hardest part for MLS expansion club NYCFC. The challenges ahead are daunting:
May 22, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
The one accolade no EPL player wants on their soccer resume…
May 22, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
New York City FC announces Reyna as first employee, a good first move, right?
May 22, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Red Bull Arena… which venue could work best as a temporary home for New York City FC?
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games