Mar 11, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
ProSoccerTalk’s Best XI from Week 2 in Major League Soccer includes a man one blogger called The Wizard of Earnshaw. I mean, how great is that!
- New England’s Matt Reis
Why we like them: His big save – no, let’s go with “massive” – on Dilly Duka’s wonderful first-half shot was a real game-saver as New England got the year started with three fairly massive points on the road.
- Montreal Impact’s Hassoun Camara
- D.C. United’s Dejan Jakovic
- Philadelphia Union’s Amobi Okugo
- Toronto FC’s Darren O’Dea
Why we like them: Camara started his team’s scoring in a big road win with a spectacular overhead kick, then helped get the job done on defense. (Let’s face it, we’re a sucker for the overhead kick. Especially when it’s an outside back doing the overhead kicking.)
As for O’Dea, he got the job done for Ryan Nelsen’s team, then handed off all the credit.
Jakovic stepped into the challenges with just the right amount of force as D.C. United prevailed in its home opener, against RSL.
- Montreal’s Patrice Bernier
- Vancouver Whitcaps’s Kenny Miller (pictured)
- Chivas USA’s Giovani Casillas
Why we like them: Remember how effective Portland’s Diego Valeri was last week. Well, Montreal’s Bernier sure does. And he was having none of that Saturday in Oregon, working hard to keep the Timbers’ playmaker under wraps as his team took the big road win to go 2-0.
Casillas played just less than half an hour for the Goats, but his introduction helped change the game as Chivas USA rallied from a goal down to give its new manager his first MLS victory.
In Vancouver, the veteran Scotsman took the armband from injured captain Jay DeMerit, then made everyone feel good about it, running the attack and capitalizing on a boo-boo to supply a confident game-winner over visiting Columbus.
- Toronto FC’s Robert Earnshaw
- New England’s Jerry Bengtson
- San Jose’s Adam Jahn
Why we like them: The piece called TFC’s two-goal man The Wizard of Earnshaw. I mean, how great is that! Bengtson’s hold-up play was important, but his goal was technically perfect, and what a huge goal it was for New England, which opened the season with a win on the road.
Like Casillas, San Jose’s Jahn was a second-half game-changer off the bench. He got free for the Earthquakes’ late equalizer. Then he punished New York again by earning the penalty kick, which Chris Wondolowski converted, although not before a little bit more drama still.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Ankle sprain is “a very rare and unique injury, and we are trying to treat it as well as possible.”
Mar 11, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Milan’s failed to turn its season around, with Atlético has stabilized after a February swoon.
Mar 11, 2014, 3:47 AM EDT
Bayern’s lost twice in the last 12 months – once to Arsenal. The holders will look to avoid a repeat of last year’s visit.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
There’s also a freshness under Mastroeni, who oozes the respectability that comes from a distinguished career.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Black Cats have played three less matches than the Bluebirds and two less than the Baggies. A win over Palace would land them even with the Eagles.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
“What I said to the players is ‘get it out of your head. Go home, reflect a little bit and I will do my best to come up with something better.’”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
What to do with the goal-scoring 34-year-old Scot who’s out of contract in June?
Mar 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
“Kevin made a huge contribution to our qualification for the World Cup, he never let us down and now his dreams have died,” said Holland manager Louis van Gaal.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Like Manuel Pellegrini and his distaste for a certain Swedish official, Wenger is also critical of UEFA slotting in a referee from a non-footballing power.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
MLS has become a decent destination for goalkeepers, with top internationals for Peru, Brazil and Panama plying their trades in the United States this season.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Djalo, 27, hasn’t found his footing in Lisbon, playing in just three matches since then and spending parts of 2012 and 2013 on loan at Toulouse in Ligue 1, where he appeared 17 times.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Arsenal has been handed a boost for their massive Tuesday task of reversing Bayern Munich’s 2-0 advantage in the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“It’s like playing 1 1/2, 1 3/4 games in terms of damage to your body,” said Ryan Nelsen.
Mar 10, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
That is not a lousy public high-five for a player, now, is it?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Timbers skipper staying put, as owner Paulson takes to Twitter to rejoice:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Five teams dominate selections, find out if your favorites were rewarded:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Barcelona have lost two of their last three La Liga matches, can City inflict more UCL heartache on the Catalan club?
Mar 10, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
Reds are in the red… but Champions League soccer could solve that and increase the club’s financial footing:
Mar 10, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
After Shea apparently ‘flipped the bird’ Barnsley end his loan deal from Stoke early:
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations