Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Interesting thing about the Red Bulls as we draw a tighter circle around the cascade of folly and error that turned a potential road win – and what a rather fashionable one it would have been, at the home of the current Supporters Shield holders – into a loss that remains the talk of Major League Soccer this morning:
Sunday’s chief culprit mans a position where the Red Bulls have option aplenty.
No, left back Roy Miller was not solely responsible for the 10 minutes of mayhem that saw San Jose score twice. (Very “San Jose 2K12” by the way; we’ll get to the Earthquakes and what all this means for them later …)
Obviously, there is blame to go around. Goalkeeper Luis Robles could have possible done better on the Earthquakes’ 83rd minute equalizer. And the flagging possession out of the back that really got this kettle boiling … well, that’s on pretty much everyone.
But left back is a relatively easy fix. And who doesn’t love an easy fix?
That’s because Connor Lade is available. You might remember him as the talented, energetic presence Thierry Henry spoke so highly about last year. Or, you might remember Lade (pictured) as the young man called into Jurgen Klinsmann’s January camp.
If Lade doesn’t reveal himself as the answer, I remain convinced that Heath Pearce will immediately be a Top Five left back in Major League Soccer – just as soon as soon as some manager moves him back to the spot where the 28-year-old veteran has made 35 U.S. national team appearances.
That would mean putting Markus Holgersson alongside Jamison Olave in the middle of the back line; Holgersson is a veteran, so that gets a little more experience on the field, too.
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 10
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1
- Russian president Vladimir Putin believes Sepp Blatter deserves Nobel Prize 6
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 2
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 10