Mar 11, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Yes, Philadelphia’s young center back Amobi Okugo scored the Union’s opening goal in Sunday’s snow-delayed contest in Colorado. And it was a swell header, wasn’t it – very nearly of the “towering” variety.
But it was Okugo’s work at the other end of his team’s huge 2-1 road win that really counted, that elevated the young Union defender beyond just local Man of the Match talk.
Everyone keeps talking about whether Okugo will be better as a defensive midfielder one day, and it’s a fair question to ask. But meanwhile, he keeps reminding everyone that this center back thing is something he can be pretty good at, too.
Okugo’s timing the tackle, his reading of the game and his smooth passing form the back all helped keep the Rapids mostly in check; Colorado bossed the midfield, but getting past Okugo was something else entirely.
There’s more on the 21-year-old’s match here from The Philly Soccer Page.
Here, by the way, is his goal:
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (12)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team