Mar 11, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Yes, Philadelphia’s young center back Amobi Okugo scored the Union’s opening goal in Sunday’s snow-delayed contest in Colorado. And it was a swell header, wasn’t it – very nearly of the “towering” variety.
But it was Okugo’s work at the other end of his team’s huge 2-1 road win that really counted, that elevated the young Union defender beyond just local Man of the Match talk.
Everyone keeps talking about whether Okugo will be better as a defensive midfielder one day, and it’s a fair question to ask. But meanwhile, he keeps reminding everyone that this center back thing is something he can be pretty good at, too.
Okugo’s timing the tackle, his reading of the game and his smooth passing form the back all helped keep the Rapids mostly in check; Colorado bossed the midfield, but getting past Okugo was something else entirely.
There’s more on the 21-year-old’s match here from The Philly Soccer Page.
Here, by the way, is his goal:
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Man United, Man City, Stoke 0
- Watching a UEFA Champions League game with US star Geoff Cameron 0
- WATCH: PST Extra previews Liverpool vs. Manchester City 0
- Jose Mourinho reveals love for League Cup ahead of Chelsea’s final vs. Tottenham 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 27 0
- New York City FC confirm they tried to sign Xavi, will try again in 2015 0