Mar 11, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
First there was Geoff Cameron, who arrived into Stoke City and immediately established himself as a starter for Tony Pulis’ club.
Then came winger Brek Shea (pictured), who could not gain a similarly quick stranglehold on starter’s duty for the Potters, but whose future looks promising at The Britannia.
America’s a new place for us. It’s a place where you can get some raw material … The Americans are a bit like the Australians, they are fantastic sports people. The two lads we’ve brought in have fantastic work attitudes.
“We’ve got a scout over there who knows the league very well and we might add another one next year. We think it’s somewhere we can get players from. Newcastle have done fantastic with French players and we’re trying to find a market that suits us.”
It’s a little early for us to begin the good guesswork on candidates – but let’s do it anyway!
Candidates will emerge through the spring and into early summer, of course, just before the transfer window swings open in July. But here is one looming possibility:
D.C. United’s Chris Pontius. He’s not a giant in terms of physical stature, and Pulis loves his giants. Still, the D.C. United man is talented and full of want-to, a must for the helter-skelter EPL proceedings. And as a figure yet to bust into the U.S. national team scene, he’s not yet priced beyond Stoke City’s frugal budget.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte