Mar 11, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
First there was Geoff Cameron, who arrived into Stoke City and immediately established himself as a starter for Tony Pulis’ club.
Then came winger Brek Shea (pictured), who could not gain a similarly quick stranglehold on starter’s duty for the Potters, but whose future looks promising at The Britannia.
America’s a new place for us. It’s a place where you can get some raw material … The Americans are a bit like the Australians, they are fantastic sports people. The two lads we’ve brought in have fantastic work attitudes.
“We’ve got a scout over there who knows the league very well and we might add another one next year. We think it’s somewhere we can get players from. Newcastle have done fantastic with French players and we’re trying to find a market that suits us.”
It’s a little early for us to begin the good guesswork on candidates – but let’s do it anyway!
Candidates will emerge through the spring and into early summer, of course, just before the transfer window swings open in July. But here is one looming possibility:
D.C. United’s Chris Pontius. He’s not a giant in terms of physical stature, and Pulis loves his giants. Still, the D.C. United man is talented and full of want-to, a must for the helter-skelter EPL proceedings. And as a figure yet to bust into the U.S. national team scene, he’s not yet priced beyond Stoke City’s frugal budget.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"