Mar 12, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Costa Rica’s goalkeeping and defense may not quite match the U.S. ability, not even considering the depleted U.S. state in those areas.
But there certainly is some balance in the front lines involved in next week’s World Cup qualifier in Denver. In fact, given Clint Dempsey’s injury concern for Jurgen Klinsmann’s Americans, perhaps Costa Rica’s collection of strikers ranks a tick above what the United States can currently offer.
Costa Rica announced its roster today. Included is Real Salt Lake’s Alvaro Saborio, who has a rather prolific 34 goals over the last three MLS seasons (really, two seasons plus two games in 2013). Saborio tends to be somewhat limited in what he gives a team in possession and while building the attack, but the longtime Costa Rican international is a striker’s striker who always knows where to find goal and how to exploit the slightest moments of defensive attention.
Also available will be Jairo Arrieta, who began scoring regularly for Columbus upon his summer arrival in 2012. He had nine goals in 18 matches last year.
One of them will be on the bench, however, while Fulham’s Bryan Ruiz (pictured) guides the Ticos’ strike force. Ruiz continues to be a star performer at Craven Cottage, where Fulham has climbed into a comfortable 10th-place EPL position, well north for now of the drop zone.
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 20
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 2
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (20)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team