Mar 12, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
At this point, can someone just tap us on the shoulder when (and if?) Obafemi Martins finally gets to Seattle? Please.
It’s all become a little tiresome as the Sounders long, hard slog to gather up the Nigerian striker has dragged on. The deal has been twisted up in Seattle’s salary cap issues (solved rather painfully by buying out Christian Tiffert’s contract) and by the protracted process of getting Martins released from his deal with Spain’s Levante.
We look so doggone close to putting this puppy to bed – but caution still rules in the Sounders camp.
All this roster drama is providing a (possibly distracting) backdrop as the Sounders prep for tonight’s CONCACAF Champions League return leg against Mexico’s Tigres. The Liga MX club holds a 1-0 lead in the quarterfinal series.
Whether it’s confidence or shifting priorities, looks like Tigres has decided to send something less than its best for tonight’s 10 p.m. ET kickoff (Fox Soccer Channel).
Attendance at CenturyLink will not reach the usual gold-standard levels, but the Seattle Times’ Joshua Mayers reported Monday that 17,000-plus tickets had been sold. So, the building will hardly be empty.
The Sounders need to score twice to advance into Champions League semifinals (or a 1-0 win would send the series into penalty kicks).
If Sigi Schmid’s men can prevail, we’re talking history here. Remember, no MLS team has eliminated a Mexican side from Champions League.
Real Salt Lake is the only MLS club to have reached a CCL final, falling to Monterrey two years ago.
A full match preview from MLSSoccer.com is here.
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0