Mar 12, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
At this point, can someone just tap us on the shoulder when (and if?) Obafemi Martins finally gets to Seattle? Please.
It’s all become a little tiresome as the Sounders long, hard slog to gather up the Nigerian striker has dragged on. The deal has been twisted up in Seattle’s salary cap issues (solved rather painfully by buying out Christian Tiffert’s contract) and by the protracted process of getting Martins released from his deal with Spain’s Levante.
We look so doggone close to putting this puppy to bed – but caution still rules in the Sounders camp.
All this roster drama is providing a (possibly distracting) backdrop as the Sounders prep for tonight’s CONCACAF Champions League return leg against Mexico’s Tigres. The Liga MX club holds a 1-0 lead in the quarterfinal series.
Whether it’s confidence or shifting priorities, looks like Tigres has decided to send something less than its best for tonight’s 10 p.m. ET kickoff (Fox Soccer Channel).
Attendance at CenturyLink will not reach the usual gold-standard levels, but the Seattle Times’ Joshua Mayers reported Monday that 17,000-plus tickets had been sold. So, the building will hardly be empty.
The Sounders need to score twice to advance into Champions League semifinals (or a 1-0 win would send the series into penalty kicks).
If Sigi Schmid’s men can prevail, we’re talking history here. Remember, no MLS team has eliminated a Mexican side from Champions League.
Real Salt Lake is the only MLS club to have reached a CCL final, falling to Monterrey two years ago.
A full match preview from MLSSoccer.com is here.
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago