Mar 13, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
For all the discussion of its effects, there’s little doubt Steven Defour deserved his second yellow card, a booking that came after one of his first half challenges could have seen straight red.
The foul comes near the 1:00 mark of the highlight package, above, and while Defour might have thought he was giving the impression of a player avoiding contact, replays show he was clearly trying to obstruct Joaquin. Under the circumstances, it was an inexcusable decision.
By then, the aggregate score was 1-1. It was only four minutes into the second half. The game was far from being settled, and already carrying a yellow card, Defour should have been on his best behavior. But given how reckless he’d been throughout the day, maybe that was Defour’s best behavior and the red card was only a matter of time.
Going down a man didn’t end Porto’s day. In fact, the next big chance fell to them, but Jackson Martínez — the man who’s dominated the Portuguese league to the tune of 23 goals in 22 games — attacks a set piece with his right foot instead of his left, putting the ball over the goal instead of in.
If that ball goes in, Málaga needs three goals to go through. Yes, it’s a big if, but it’s one that would have changed the discussion around Steven Defour’s terrible day.
Here are the highlights of Wednesday’s match, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement