Mar 13, 2013, 3:55 AM EDT
One of the moments of Tuesday’s match is not in the highlight package, above (provided by FOX Soccer). It came a minute before Barcelona’s second goal, when a long ball out of Milan’s half was misjudged by Javier Mascherano. His error allowed M’Baye Niang to go in on Victor Valdes from 40 yards out. The Barça keeper came to the edge of his area to cut him off, but he couldn’t reach Niang’s shot, which clanged off the bottom of Valdes’s right post.
Inches to the right, and Milan goes up 3-1. They’d have an away goal, and they’d have killed all the momentum Barcelona cultivated over the first 38 minutes. Given what followed, it’s easy to say Barcelona would have still come back. On the other hand, Niang’s goal could have been a dose of an alternate reality.
We could wax philosophical and ponder the highlight value of things that didn’t happen, like Niang’s goal, but in this reality, Barcelona dominates the highlights, with the four-goal outburst that pushed them into the Champions League quarterfinals chronicled, above.
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 2
- Philadelphia’s Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 0
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 3
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 1
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago