Mar 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The classic line ‘how do you know when a politician is lying’ reply ‘when his lips move’ can apply equally well to FIFA President Sepp Blatter who today decided to bash the competition, namely the European Championship.
In January, Uefa announced that the 2020 Championships would be staged at various venues across Europe in an attempt to broaden its base and give me supporters from different countries a chance to view the tournament. Uefa President, Michel Paltini has coined the phrase a ‘Euros for Europe’ but then again, he would wouldn’t he, as its his hair brained scheme.
Blatter obviously feeling the heat in the hair brained department has fired back telling Germany’s Kicker magazine, such a Euro lacks heart and soul’ before adding that a ‘tournament should be played in one country. That is how you create identity and euphoria.’ Obviously uncle Sepp is conveniently forgetting that 1). he pushed for the joint World Cup in 2002 hosted by Japan and South Korea 2). As the big cheese he didn’t have to deal with the nightmarish travel conditions in South Africa in 2010, which if you suffered like me, meant the tournament might as well have been played on the moon, it was so hard to travel between destinations.
Blatter by this point should know that silence is golden because every time he opens his mouth, only bizarre statements come forth.
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 4
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (27)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public