Mar 14, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
When you have more money than a small country or Greece, having a summer clean out of players isn’t the end of the world unless you’re one of those players.
This time last season, Manchester City had blown their Premier League ambitions after choking on a huge lead, however, thanks to the generosity of the neighbors, United, they managed to claw their way back thanks to ‘the goal‘ and the title was secured.
City and Roberto Mancini then embarked on some serious back slapping and basically forgot about the summer transfer market, which is why they are in the current situation of 2nd place in the Premier League and in need of another miracle to retain their title. No offence to the likes of Jack Rodwell, Javi Garcia or Maicon but they’re not even close to the class of Mancini’s prefered targets last summer, Robin van Persie, Eden Hazard or Daniele De Rossi
Lesson learned by ‘Bobby’ then as he’s already laying down the big stick by promising massive changes at the Etihad. The Italian is emptying the pool with careless driver Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry, top scorer Edin Dzecko and permanent sulker, Samir Nasri all rumored to be handing in their pool toys and heading to the exit showers.
Now, obviously a lot of this movement is dependent on Mancini even being in Manchester come the end of May. With Jose Mourinho lurking in the shadows, one wonders whether the ‘special one’ would be in such a hurry to jettison players of quality.
What we do know though is that if City are to comply with Uefa’s fair play rules, the wage bill is going to have to come down.
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 2
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 4
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1