Mar 14, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
For the first time in 17 years, no English clubs will be appearing in the latter stages of the Uefa Champions League, a fact that concerns Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger however the Frenchman should take comfort that the Europa League seems to be a more comfortable level.
All three clubs remaining in the ugly step child tournament step forward and take a bow. Chelsea, Newcastle and Tottenham somehow limped over the finish line in one form or another to grace the last eight.
Newcastle after getting a credible 0-0 draw against Anzhi Makhachkala in the first leg left it as late as possible before snatching a dramatic last second winner through Papiss Cisse. The red card issued to Anzhi and Mehdi Carcela-Gonzalez certainly helped but the Toon Army were made to suffer every second during the final 45 minutes knowing that any goal conceded would surely have sent them tumbling out.
At Stamford Bridge, Chelsea made hard work for themselves by conceding in the first half versus Steaua Bucharest meaning they would have to score three to advance. Juan Mata, John Terry and wonder of wonder, Fernando Torres scored to send a nervy Blues through however Torres contrived to miss a penalty in the 86th minute meaning that the last few ticks of the clock were more than agony for the Shed faithful.
In Italy Tottenham performed the great escape and will stagger back to White Hart Lane wondering just how they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory only to well, you know. 4-4 on aggregate only tells the score line and not the story as Inter Milan almost pulled off one of the most spectacular comebacks of all time.
The question now is can they avoid each other in the last 8 and help repair the damaged psyche of English football. Whether this year was a blip on the radar or a taste of things to come, we at least know that the Europa League can provide a small dose of pride.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 20
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (20)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights