Mar 14, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
If we examine the back stories on how rivalries achieve their deliciously acrimonious state – real rivalries, that is, and not the manufactured ones fans tend to sniff out and disregard with extreme prejudice – they usually check the box on one or more of the elements you see in the box below.
Here we look at the New York Red Bulls-D.C. United rivalry, and which boxes get checked on this clash of Eastern Conference contenders:
The teams meet at 12:30 p.m. ET Saturday (live on NBC and streamed LIVE online at NBCSports.com) at Red Bull Arena.
This MLS rivalry was always destiny, as if executed by some royal decree.
New York was the league’s flagship franchise; ‘twas always so. While the MLS deciders of another day tilted the field much as they could toward New York (much as they could without being even more obvious about it, that is),United and then-manager Bruce Arena boldly built an early league dynasty.
So the clash of Big Market Beast Wanna-be vs. Actual MLS Beast provided a splendid framework in meetings that grew gradually more acrimonious between this pair of 96ers. (That is, two original MLS teams that debuted in the inaugural 1996 season.)
The clubs have met 79 times since the first clash in May of 1996, when the MetroStars regularly rattled around in the painfully ill fitting Giants Stadium.
Moments to remember in this rivalry? Alecko Eskandarian’s clever celebration for D.C. United certainly upset the Empire Supporters Club and the Red Bulls faithful. It was spiteful enough to get the man fined!
Eddie Gaven was just 16 when he nailed the game-winner in another memory-maker (having entered the field on a substitution end-run, a little bit of chicanery that has since been eliminated from the game.)
The clubs compete for the Atlantic Cup now; supporters groups on either side established the trophy in 2002.
By the way, if you define “rivalry” to any extent by some reasonable balance of wins, this one has gone askew lately. Since mid-season 2004, D.C. United is 20-6-8 in the series.
Both clubs seem likely to land near the top of the Eastern Conference heap this year. Ben Olsen’s team has done fine in two matches without the suspended Dwayne De Rosario, the Black and Red’s top attacker. Thierry Henry (pictured) looked dreadful in his team’s 3-3 draw in Portland to open the season but did improve dramatically in the 2-1 loss at San Jose. This is New York’s home opener; Olsen could make things awfully tough on rookie head coach Mike Petke, who would be loath to see his team go winless in his first three contests as a pro coach.
MLS on NBC makes its 2013 debut when Arlo White and Kyle Martino call New York Red Bulls against D.C. United at 12:30 p.m. ET. NBC Sports Network carries two contests after that (Sporting KC vs. Chicago Fire, then Seattle vs. Portland). In between, “The Breakaway” will show goals from foursome of matches NBC is not carrying.
ProSoccerTalk’s series of Rivalry Week backstories:
- New York Red Bulls-D.C. United
- Montreal Impact – Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake-Colorado Rapids
- Seattle Sounders-Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas-Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy-Chivas USA
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"