Mar 14, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
Let’s quickly review everything that Roy Miller did wrong last week in a New York Red Bulls collapse in San Jose, when 10 mad minutes turned a potentially delightful road win for Mike Petke’s side into a dreadful loss, one that we are still talking about.
He committed a foul just outside the penalty area, supplying the Earthquakes with a wonderful set-piece opportunity.
His handball inside the penalty area gave San Jose the spot shot that turned into the winning goal.
The Costa Rican international encroached on Chris Wondolowski’s penalty kick, which Luis Robles saved. Miller’s silly, premature run into the 18 gave “Wondo” a second chance, which he finished with authority.
And now this, his inconceivable explanation:
I did it on purpose with the thought that Wondolowski would miss. Simply, I wasn’t in agreement with the situation that was going on and the penalty kick being given, because for me, the handball didn’t have to be called but some refs call it and some don’t. … I did it so that if [Wondolowski] made it, he would have to do it again and then he missed. I had the unfortunate luck that Luis saved the initial attempt.”
Holy oblivion, batman!
Here’s the thing: If Wondolowski’s initial penalty kick was successful, referee Ricardo Salazar would have pointed to the center. Goal!
No referee would order a re-take in that situation. Thus, Miller’s action was even more senseless than it seemed.
Make a mistake is one thing. Making a couple of them is a trend indicator worth examination. But not knowing the laws of the game? As a professional, that is 100 percent inexcusable.
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1
- Samuel Eto’o signs two-year deal with Everton 0
- League Cup Roundup: Manchester United embarrassed by Milton Keynes, 4-0 8
- Landon Donovan will get U.S. farewell, to be called up to face Ecuador 7
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: New York’s Thierry Henry 2