Mar 15, 2013, 7:00 AM EST
It’s that time of the season where every game is huge however they simply don’t get any bigger than a relegation six-pointer.
Aston Villa versus Queens Park Rangers is almost a relegation decider. For the victor momentum, for the loser the crushing realization that the Premiership dream is over.
The pundits like to say that the Championship play-off decider is worth close to $100 million, well, that’s the value of this match at Villa Park as the amount of money each club has invested will disappear if they fall into the Championship.
For American owner, Randy Lerner this would surely be the death-blow for his investment as he’s already siphoned off close to $150 million of his fortune. On the other side is Malaysian businessman Tony Fernandez who is in for over $100 million.
Yes folks, the Premiership is big money and a loss on Saturday will put a large sting in the pocketbooks of two highly successful men in business.
A Villa win will put them six points clear of the drop zone if other results go their way. A QPR victory would take them out of the relegation zone for just the second time this season.
The form book favors QPR as Villa have lost five of their last six at home, while the Londoners have picked up seven points from their last four road games.
Paul Lambert against Harry Redknapp…let the mind games begin.
This is can’t miss football and the intensity will be suffocating.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)