Mar 15, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
Who doesn’t love them some good, clean Rivalry Week trash talk … especially when some of the smug and the bluster comes from official levels?
You know it is Rivalry Week in MLS because you’ve already seen a couple of our pieces on MLS rivalry back stories. More to come, too.
You also know if you happen to have seen some of the cranky content coming from unaffiliated bloggers and official team sites.
It ranges from the clever and cute, like this on Sunday’s impending Texas derby. (And seriously, I don’t know the typing thing works with those big, furry orange fingers.) …
… all the way to areas less polite, like this one (which contains a couple of versions of naughty words… just so you know). It’s from the Chicago Fire-centric site On The Fire, and a big part of the Sporting Kansas City hostility is wrapped up in a bitter diatribe against Midwest soccer moms.
(Oh, and Lance Armstrong. You just knew the Lance Armstrong haymaker punch was coming!)
Seriously Kansas, you’re packed full of them! Not just in your streets, but in your parking lots, your seats, your overpasses, ditches, and easements. The whole state is practically overflowing with middle-aged women in the prime of their momdom, mommying around in their mom vans. Last season, when I rolled across the prairie to DopeStrong Park, not only did SKC not let us bring our awesome flag waving display, but it surrounded us with the had-one-too-many-daiquiri infused PG-13 heckles of 18,000 moms.”
There’s also some fun in the Dan Kennedy vs. Robbie Keane FIFA ’13 battle. You can watch that one here.
For those who want to bring it back a little closer to the field, hows about Portland’s Darlington Nagbe with this little kidney punch: “Every time we go there [to CenturyLink Field in Seattle] our fans are louder than their fans.” Boom!
Ah, yes … it’s going to be a fun and spirited weekend.
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 15 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)