Mar 15, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
In football the one item that is completely worthless is a contract. They are abused, neglected, ignored and ripped up before the ink has even had time to dry.
Swansea manager, Michael Laudrup, has just penned a new 2-year deal to remain in Wales and continue the outstanding work his has done with the Swans.
In his first full season, he has taken the club to Wembley, won them a first major trophy in 100 years and qualified them for next season’s Europa league. He has achieved this on a budget that is tighter than a gnats chuff while playing the attractive, attacking football that was the hallmark of previous boss, Brendan Rodgers.
This is the stuff of a resume builder and Europe and the rest of the Premiership has taken notice. Real Madrid have been sniffing around as have half of the Serie A however the real romancing has yet to begin but there is a sense that it could end up in London.
Arsenal Football Club demand a certain style of play after 17 years under the French revolution and Laudrup would provide the perfect transition.
Calm, understated, clinical with an exceptional understanding of the English, European and World game, Michael Laudrup is cut from the same cloth as Jose Mourinho, except that he played and at the highest level. If you’ve never seen him in action, you need to watch this.
Swansea have made the smart move, they’ve locked up their man and its going to cost money to take him away from the Liberty Stadium. Arsenal know that change is in the winds. Watch the handshake at full-time on Saturday, it will speak volumes.
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 0
- David Moyes tipped by Roberto Martinez to make swift return to management 0
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 2
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 5