Mar 15, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
In football the one item that is completely worthless is a contract. They are abused, neglected, ignored and ripped up before the ink has even had time to dry.
Swansea manager, Michael Laudrup, has just penned a new 2-year deal to remain in Wales and continue the outstanding work his has done with the Swans.
In his first full season, he has taken the club to Wembley, won them a first major trophy in 100 years and qualified them for next season’s Europa league. He has achieved this on a budget that is tighter than a gnats chuff while playing the attractive, attacking football that was the hallmark of previous boss, Brendan Rodgers.
This is the stuff of a resume builder and Europe and the rest of the Premiership has taken notice. Real Madrid have been sniffing around as have half of the Serie A however the real romancing has yet to begin but there is a sense that it could end up in London.
Arsenal Football Club demand a certain style of play after 17 years under the French revolution and Laudrup would provide the perfect transition.
Calm, understated, clinical with an exceptional understanding of the English, European and World game, Michael Laudrup is cut from the same cloth as Jose Mourinho, except that he played and at the highest level. If you’ve never seen him in action, you need to watch this.
Swansea have made the smart move, they’ve locked up their man and its going to cost money to take him away from the Liberty Stadium. Arsenal know that change is in the winds. Watch the handshake at full-time on Saturday, it will speak volumes.
- Aston Villa 0-0 Newcastle: Guzan saves a point as Villa moves top 0
- ‘Powerful explosions’ rock Shakhtar Donetsk’s home stadium in Ukraine 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 2 0
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 2-1 Real Salt Lake 0
- MLS Weekend Preview: Trio of marque marquee matches begins Friday in Frisco 0
- Early Mandzukic goal sees Atlético defeat Real Madrid, claim Spanish Super Cup 1